1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading advice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Solaris17, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    my set up is new.....but eventually i whant to Finally break the socket A barrier what is a "Good" cheap socket 939 cpu(optiron) and whats a "Good" socket 939 mobo? with pci-e & AGP? will it take ddr? im not giving up on my ram and if was realatively cheap that would be good. thanks guys your a big help.

2. zAAm

zAAm

Thanks Received:
    I'm really considering the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 for my next upgrade. Not having to upgrade your GPU when you got AGP and still wanting compatibility with PCI-Express and then o'course the socket 939 we're all after. ;) AND when socket M2 comes out there will be a CPU-Upgrade daughterboard available that'll enable the use of the newer CPU's as well. Excellent upgraders board IMO.

My next upgrade will probably be that board and an Opteron 144. ;)

And all 939 boards will take DDR, or did you mean Dual Channel? :confused:

3. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    No ddr i just didnt whant someone to waste their time and suggest one thats ddr2 as i wouldt whant that because i whant to keep my ram. ;)

4. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    the 939dual-sata2 should be considered becuase its a good board,
    but for M2, if you plan to move to DDR2 might aswell get a new board, the daughter board will probobly be problematic, think CPU plus heatsink plus a couple of DDR2 slots, all installed and hanging perpendicularly from the board being held there by a simple slot lock, not a pretty sight, especialy if you want to mount a beefier heatsink then the AMD inbox,

as for CPU, a socket 939 venus opteron 144 sounds like a good overclocking candidate, and has more or less the same price more or less as a 3000+ venice, same speed, double the cache

and for gods sake, get rid of that POS nanya ram, :)