1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading advice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DarkEgo, Dec 11, 2008.

  1. DarkEgo

    DarkEgo

    Joined:
    May 23, 2008
    Messages:
    1,390 (0.64/day)
    Thanks Received:
    224
    I have a $555 budget to upgrade my current rig. I was thinking a new processor, motherboard, RAM, and getting a second GPU to crossfire (or maybe a whole new one), any suggestions?
    I was thinking This for the ram, Processor/ motherboard
    Now for the GPU(s). I was either going to sell my current GPU and get This to go with my current GPU.
    All suggestions are appreciated,
    Thank you for viewing my thread.
    :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. spearman914

    spearman914 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2008
    Messages:
    3,339 (1.52/day)
    Thanks Received:
    502
    Location:
    Brooklyn, New York 11223
  3. DarkEgo

    DarkEgo

    Joined:
    May 23, 2008
    Messages:
    1,390 (0.64/day)
    Thanks Received:
    224
    If i were to do that, shouldn't I just get a second 4850 for crossfire? I was only looking at the 260 because the OC enough to make them faster than a 280 (they would be on water to achieve these clocks)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. spearman914

    spearman914 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2008
    Messages:
    3,339 (1.52/day)
    Thanks Received:
    502
    Location:
    Brooklyn, New York 11223
    Well if u crossfire a second 4850 and OC it, it will be also faster then the 260.
  5. DarkEgo

    DarkEgo

    Joined:
    May 23, 2008
    Messages:
    1,390 (0.64/day)
    Thanks Received:
    224
    The 4850's wouldn't be underwater. I would also need a aftermarket cooler for my other 4850. Any suggestions here, has to be Crossfire compatible on a Asus P5Q pro
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. kysg New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2008
    Messages:
    1,255 (0.60/day)
    Thanks Received:
    99
    Location:
    Pacoima, CA
    Well looks like your at a bad road here, like me got 1 ref cooled 4850. My only thought would be to sell the 4850 and just get a 4870 because the prices on those are actually going down.
    soon 4870 gonna hit that 200 dollar mark.

    the only other reasonable move is another 4850, and an aftermarket cooler for the other 4850 which runs you 30-50 bucks. zalman should be okay for those.

    after that its just down to getting a cheaper mobo...thats all there is to it. or you could crossfire with the 4870.

    Still I think its either to sell the 4850, and get a 4870, there is also 4850x2 but that is out of price range.
  7. spearman914

    spearman914 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2008
    Messages:
    3,339 (1.52/day)
    Thanks Received:
    502
    Location:
    Brooklyn, New York 11223
    No point of selling 4850 and buying a 4870. U can just oc the 4850 with an aftermarket cooler since 4850 is an UCed version of the 4870.
  8. DarkEgo

    DarkEgo

    Joined:
    May 23, 2008
    Messages:
    1,390 (0.64/day)
    Thanks Received:
    224
    Maby for the processor and motherboard I could just wait for Phenom II. Then I could probably get a little more money saved up and put the 4850's under water.
    Crunching for Team TPU

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guest)

Share This Page