1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading - CPU or Graphics card?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Nythilian, May 22, 2008.

1. Nythilian New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heya,
    I'm definitely not the most computer savvy person, but in any case I want to upgrade my rig somewhat. I mostly use it for gaming - WoW, LOTRO, Fear online, among others (mostly WoW these days). I'm not sure whether to upgrade my CPU or Graphics card this time round, since I read in the graphics card section a few minutes ago that WoW is more CPU-intensive. So which do you think is in *more* dire need :)P), and do you have any model suggestions?

I'm willing to spend up to around the $500 mark all up (that limit was mainly set for a Graphics Card.. which was my initial choice, so obviously it can be edited down substantially).

I mainly want something - at least in relation to the graphics card - that will allow me to comfortably raid and access the more heavily populated areas without taking a massive hit to the FPS (read: Shattrath City. I currently average 10-15 FPS there, and sometimes that low around other parts of the Outland).

In addition, I'd rather something that is going to remain useful for awhile - so a newer model please :p Of course I'd like it to be able to handle more graphic-intensive games, too. Which makes me think I might be better off with a graphics card upgrade first?

Anyway, sorry for the novel! Thanks xD

2. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you're in the US I'm sure that for your budget of $500 you can upgrade both cpu and graphics card from Newegg?

3. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Seeing your board is skt 939 I would suggest going with an Opteron, like the Opteron 175. Pretty much the same as a Athlon 64 X2 but overclocks so much better. Video card wise you have alot of choices. Suggestions would be in order by performance. A 3870, 9600GT, 8800GT, or a 3870X2. What brand and wattage PSU do you have? That would play an important role in which video card you would get.

Nythilian says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Nythilian New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, actually I'm Australian :p For what I'm considering.. the graphics card is around $500 alone ^_^ But thanks xD

Thanks for the advice :) I'll definitely check into that CPU. Brand of PSU.. not sure. Forgot to check (checking involves unscrewing the evil thing and taking it out :p). But its 500 watts, if that helps. Thanks again :)

5. echo75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    upgrading the grapic card makes the most impact when it comes to gaming and eye candy however you must also make sure your CPU isnt holding the GPU back . Therefore the CPU must be at least reasonable too.

here is an article that explains it in detail-
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-gpu-upgrade,1928.html

6. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    You are still playing these old games :) Try e8200 + 2x1 gig ddr2 +p35, its 2,5x faster than your old stuff. The graphic is not so important for your games, i suggest you should get something next year (with good dx10 speed). If thats still not fast enough, you could always
    throw in a 3650, if you are willing to pay extra for these games.

7. echo75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    you are kidding right? :twitch:

8. Edito

Edito

Thanks Received:
    I think u should buy the Graphic card cause with the card u'll be able to play more recent games even with u CPU holding back ur graphic u`ll be able to play with lower res its my opinion...

9. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    A new graphics card will always give more gaming power than a cpu. Todays current games are gpu limited.

One thing tho, your rig is obviously a little older, so make sure your power supply can handle a new gfx card.

10. craigwhiteside

craigwhiteside New Member

Thanks Received:
    what graphics card you going for?

spam: so wile, what you gonna do when you reach 10,000 posts >_>

11. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    lol. Haven't given it any thought. Maybe w1z will make me a partner or something. :roll: /spam

12. craigwhiteside

craigwhiteside New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol!, isnt there a calculation for how big your epenis is :roll: :roll: :roll:

13. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Awwe c'mon guys on topic man on topic. ;)

First and foremost, remove that 1 512 stick and get dual channel going. Go for Opteron and a MIDRANGE card, not the latest and greatest for now. WoW would play beautifully even on a single 2600XT/HD3650/8600GT/8800GS/HD3850. When you feel as though that you want to play newer games those cards truly will only hold you back in higher res.

14. paulo7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would advise you to wait a month or two if you can as nvidea are releasing 280 GTX earlier then planned and that should make all the current cards fall down to your price level :)

15. paulo7 New Member

Thanks Received: