1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading from 8500GTS

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Kusimeka, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Kusimeka

Kusimeka

Thanks Received:
    I have the PSU a guy suggested earlier in the thread : http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124927

i bascialy have two 6 pins as i showed in the photo, however they have 2 white connectors and im not sure if both of those need to be connected or not. Since i find it hard to believe it would need 4 power connectors from the PSU, but it is one powerful card...

2. nafets New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hrm. You went from a small decent quality PSU to a big lousy quality PSU. :( Oh well. Here's a crude drawing of what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

You only need to use one of those (2) MOLEX 4-PIN to (1) PCI-E 6-PIN adapters. Your PSU has a PCI-E 6-PIN wire coming out of it, which goes straight to the HD4870.

A better PSU would usually have two of the PCI-E 6-PIN wires (colored RED in the picture), so you wouldn't have to mess with any adapters or MOLEX wires...

3. Kusimeka

Kusimeka

Thanks Received:
    Ohh i see, and im really sad to hear that its a lousy PSU? i thought it was a decent make, i knew it wasnt the best but i thought it was still ok.

So bascialy i would use one of those connectors that came with the GPU? and one from the PSU. That makes sense, one last question so i should connect 2 power cables to the white one as in the picture?

4. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

this is the one you need

5. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    a GTS 250 512mb 55nm might be ok on that psu [no promises] its basically like an overclocked 8800gt

6. Kusimeka

Kusimeka

Thanks Received:
    Thats the one i have my freind, i have two of them that came with the GPU. I'm just wondering if you need to power it with 2 connectors since it has 2 white bits? Since the converter that came with the PSU only requires 1 power connector.

7. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    im pretty sure it wont matter, im like 99% sure just by the fact that its 350w that it only has 1 12v rail

Kusimeka says thanks.
  8. Kusimeka

Kusimeka

Thanks Received:
    I don't have the 350w anymore i have the artic power 700w which i bought with the XFX 4870 :)

9. nafets New Member

Thanks Received:
    Arctic Power is certainly not a quality brand name like PCP&C, Corsair, Silverstone, Enermax, etc. But there should hopefully be enough overhead to ensure a mostly stable system. Obviously not everyone has the budget to afford the more expensive units.

Yes use the adapter you have in your hand (in the picture). It's colored purple in the picture I drew. That whole mess will plug into one of the PCI-E plugs on your HD4870. The other plug will be supplied straight from the PSU, via the 6-PIN PCI-E wire...

Kusimeka says thanks.
  10. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    The 4870 only has one power connector?

11. Kusimeka

Kusimeka

Thanks Received:
    Thank you very much my freind, i will give it a shot. Incase i do power it wrong it won't damage the card in anyway will it?

Nope it requires 2.

12. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    ya that's what I thought. Do what nafets told you. Your friend will enjoy a huge increase in gaming, Have fun!!

Kusimeka says thanks.
  13. nafets New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I don't see how you could power it wrong (although I'm sure it's possible). If you don't supply power to both plugs on the HD4870 it'll let you know...

Kusimeka says thanks.
  14. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    youd have to go out of your way to power it wrong

Kusimeka says thanks.
  15. Kusimeka

Kusimeka

Thanks Received:
    Woo, installed it all and it runs great :). Fallout 3 finnaly runs without lag, i'm sure my brother will be very pleased. Thanks alot everyone, especialy you Nafets! :toast:

16. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    great, everyone loves a videocard upgrade :)

Kusimeka says thanks.
  17. goldfries

goldfries New Member

Thanks Received:
    Kusimeka, glad to hear that all is working well but you have good gears and IMO you should consider a better PSU. :)

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/awards <=-- for your reference, scroll down to the Power section and check out the various brands and models.