1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading from Intel to AMD HELP!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Weigy104, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Weigy104 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have ordered a new cpu and mobo for my comp. my previous mobo was asusp4p 800 se and pentium 4 3.2. i am getting a MSI K8N neo2 Platinum and a AMD 3700+ sandiago. The stuff comes tomorow but i'm not sure about the instalation. pls help. should i format my hard drive and do a fresh install of windows or can i just remove my old asus software plug all my new stuff in and it will work. pls help as the stuff comes tomoz.

2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i think you can just unplug it and plug it back in it worked for me...if your talking bout installation of hard ware like plugging the cpu into the new mobo be very carefull did u make sure the socket type is correct? do u have the proper things to install a chip with...heat sink,thermal paste? if so ...as in u checked everything when u look at the mobo were the cpu is supposed to be their is a lever at the top lift ti...pop the cpu into place and push the lever shut...put the therma past on cover the cpu with a thin layer or you can put a glob big enough to were it will spread over the cpu...then make sure their is NO over flow put the heat sink on..mount it make sure its snug then put the fan on the heat sink using the brackest Plug the fan in...hook up everything else...DOUBLE AND TRIPLE check connections and that fans etc r plugged in and start her up.....AND MOST IMPORTANTLY GET A second opinion by someone on this site just to check me...ok...u should be set

3. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    u should re doo every thing and it is realy esy to do it is the same and doing your intel but with a diffrent board and cpu

4. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    You will have to format. I doubt the computer would even boot into windows without a fresh windows install.

Are you familiar with putting computers together? Did you get the 3700 with the heatsink and fan included?

Besides that all looks good :)
    Nice upgrade.

5. Weigy104 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks. yeh the cpu comes with a fan and heatsink. and yes i have built computers before and am very familiar with them. i was just wondering if it would be different because i'm switching to a completely different type of cpu. and if i have to format and the delivery will be here in a coupl eof hours then i should get to backing up some stuff. lol :p

6. nightelf84 Guest

A change of motherboard (different chipset/manufacturer) will almost always require a fresh installation of Windows. The only time that I managed to even boot into windows after a motherboard change is from an abit nf7 to an abit nf8.

7. spectre440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i sincerly doubt it will even boot after you change the board and cpu.
    you will definantly need a fresh install of windows.

8. {JNT}Raptor

{JNT}Raptor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Going from an Intel chipset to an AMD chipset Definantly requires a Fresh Install of Windows.
    Even If you got It to Boot......You'd have 2 sets of Chipset Drivers floating around In there fighting for control......and that can Really Hose the system.

Congrats On the Upgrade. :)

9. Weigy104 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well you were all right. i did need to install windows again. i couldn't boot into windows unless in safe mode. lol. but now i have anoher problem. my new cpu seems to be running pretty hot right now it's idiling at 47. cool n' quiet is enabled. and i used arctic silver 5 on the cpu and heatsink. pls help as this is kinda worrying me. :confused:

10. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    You probably messed up the application. Take it off and do it again :(

11. Weigy104 New Member

Thanks Received:
    what is the best way to do it. i followed the instructions on the arctic colling site. i put on the right amount i think. just enough for a thin layer accross the contact area. and i used the bag thing to spread it over the contact area. :confused:

12. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I personally just put a little drop in the middle, and use a credit card to spread it. Dont bother with the bag and finger thing, and dont spread it on the heatsink either.

Usually its a bad heatsink installation that will throw off the AS5, lopsided pressure will squeeze it all to one side and over the edge etc.

13. nightelf84 Guest

is the heatsink warm to touch?

14. Weigy104 New Member

Thanks Received:
    dunno i havn't checked but i now know that when i play games it hits 60 and stays around there but only cos the poor little fan is doing like 5500 rpm lol. i think i'm gonna re-apply it. and see what happens. i take it i will need to clean the paste off the heatsink and cpu b4 trying this again. and what fans are gd for cooling performance. i'm not too bothere about noise but i don't want something defening. i thought about getting this one http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=86699
    but i'm not too sure yet.

15. spectre440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    personally, i dont know what you're worrying about.
    my 2800+ is idlying at like 47-48 as well.
    and i'm also using the stock sink and fan.
    it is, however, handlapped to 1000 grit and i too am using as5.

albeit i did overclock my cpu... so i guess if i put it back at stock clock it'll be cooler.

but i wouldn't worry about it if were you.
    if you hit 55c and above, that's when you need to start worrying.

16. Weigy104 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hm this is very strange. i'm just in from work and turned on my comp. usually after a startup the temp is like 55 or atleast 50. this time it was like 40 and after leaving the comp alone for a while it goes down to 34 idiling which is perfect.

17. nightelf84 Guest

Looking good. In case you need that after market cooler after all, have a look at Arctic Cooling Freezer 64. Not an extreme cooler, but noise : performance ratio is great. Keeping my 3200+ venice clocked to 2.7Ghz at 40ish full load. The price is great as well ;)

18. Weigy104 New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow that really sounds like a great cooler. i'll have a look