1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading hard drive... need help!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jamiem1987, May 27, 2006.

1. jamiem1987 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi, im looking for a reasonably large (around 300gb) to install programs and run games off. Whats the best performance drive i can get? I have looked at some of the reviews and comparisons on toms hardware guide and i seem to have settled on the maxtor diamondmax plus 10 300gb drive... http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=11715&GroupID=1048 has anyone had any experiences with this hard drive or is there faster ones out there than this i could look at? Many thanks

2. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have had bad experiences with two of the 80GB versions of the drive you are buying, not sure if I was unlucky or there was a bad batch... my DiamondMax 9 hard drive has been excellent however and is quick, quiet and reliable. WD drives are supposed to be very reliable as well from what I've heard. Try looking here.

3. jamiem1987 New Member

Thanks Received:
    just been reading aout the net and i might have changed my mind here! found out my mboard has ide raid with a via 6410 controller, is this any good for a start? and what drives should i be looking at for maximum speed, size and reliabilty iv decided now to look at the 160gb szies (ide obviously) to use in a raid setup? i understand some manufacturers can be more reliable or is it just look of the draw? Many thanks again and sorry to be a pain.

my main aim is to get as much speed as possible

4. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was planning to set up RAID 0 as well but now I need to get an RMA for this drive and buy a Hitachi Deskstar if I can. I know that Western Digital are very reliable but it can often be luck of the draw. I expect your current RAID controller should be ok, I'm planning to use my built in RAID controller on my nForce 3 mobo. When you say IDE do you mean not SATA? If you already have a SATA drive you should buy another SATA to put them in RAID.

Any of the big hard drive manufacturers like Western Digital, Hitachi, Maxtor and Seagate should be good to use, look for an 8MB buffer size if you can (at least).

5. Jannu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Even though maxtor has quite bad reputation, I would recommend Maxline III, 16mb cache, 300gb.
    Maxline is meant for servers, so it should be more reliable than some other maxtor products.

6. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    But probably more expensive I'd guess.

7. jamiem1987 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i have finally gone with 2 160gb maxtors (ide) with a bit of luck they might last me till i decide to get a sata raid motherboard. Many thanks for all of your help and suggestions with my first time posting here! thanks again

8. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No problem, just one thing to remember: with RAID 0 if one drive fails all of your data is lost, so be sure to backup anything important every couple of weeks if you can.

9. jamiem1987 New Member

Thanks Received:
    right guys sorry to bother you again! i think i might have changed my mind again lol i read what u put about losing one drive and the others gone and yeah, it is quite a bit worrying considering i was going to have my entire system on there. So change of mind again.... still after advice for a fast sata large hard drive (around 300gb) can you please tell me your experiences with drives and what you think is the fastest. Many thanks again

im still leaning towards the http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...5&GroupID=1048 <<<maxtor 300gb diamondmax plus 10

still i have until monday to decide so i might decide to start looking into raid again tommorow lol

thanks

10. dze New Member

Thanks Received:
    if it was me and i wanted major speed and reliability i would put 3 or 4 300gigers in a raid 1 mirror. personally though i run my operating system on a sata raptor mirror...awesome just awesome...quest: why do u need storage drives fast? or are u planning on putting ur op system on it? imo its better to have small fast drives raided and just use single large ones for storage...butttttt..having a second raid array of large storage drives is just that much more juicy goodness in the box hehe.