1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading PC Need advice for a z87 motherboard

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by StrongForce, Jan 4, 2014.

1. StrongForce New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had my eyes on the Asrock z87 killer, looks cheap and overclocks nice.. however I never bought an Asrock before, was always Asus, I've read the newegg reviews about it some people say they had troubles with it (I guess all boards have RMA's but) does Asrock have good support and stuff ?

Is there anything else I should know about this board before purchasing ? I already bought a kit of 8gb Ram Gskill 2133mhz btw

Also was hesitating with the Gigabyite UDH4 it looks good too.. also reading some guy who had troubles with the overclocking..

Also I was looking at the Asus since I didnt really had a problem with my previous ones, does the Z87-A is any good ? or I could maybe get the PRO .. not sure whats good with this 1

I read that the Asus doesn't have uber japanese capacitors (the gigabyte seems to have).

I'm gonna do overclocking on it, manually not with the softwares.

2. rogerthat1945

rogerthat1945

Thanks Received:
  3. StrongForce New Member

Thanks Received:

It's sensitive so what ?? I dont get it ! you mean don't break the contacts or something ?

Oh and that's a H87 chipset won't overclock so well.

Anyone got anymore recommendations ? :)

4. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. rogerthat1945

rogerthat1945

Thanks Received:
    State secret?
    I thought he wanted cheap. So I pointed out cheap.
    It also runs with XP (XP Drivers on the web-site), if anyone cared to look at the details. :(
    But neither XP nor W7 nor W8.1 was mentioned, so we have to GUESS, and provide Options, with very LIMITED information.

As for the `Contact bed` on the board, I told you they are sensitive, and you seem to think you should be told more.
    Am I being paid cash or something? Do you want to find out the hard way?

P.S.
    Here is a better mid-range card than anything MSI have kicked out.
    ASUSTeK Intel Z87チップセット搭載マザーボード ROGシリーズ MAXIMUS VI GENE 【MATX】
    http://www.amazon.co.jp/ASUSTeK-Z87...8&qid=1388883640&sr=8-1&keywords=Z87 MATX ROG

Of course you can look it up on a site in the country you live in.

6. StrongForce New Member

Thanks Received:
    This board sounds nice yea I might just go for that one I heard MSI boards comes with alot of softwares, I guess can uninstall those I don't need..

Just curious why did you changed board ?

and rogerthat thanks but thats a MATX, and who runs xp these days XD (maybe I should have keep that but..)

7. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. StrongForce New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh ya I read thats the kind of board you get if you wanna break some "records" lol

9. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll +1 the GD65, and even the G45 if budget's are tight. Both those gaming boards do ridiculously well, and Dave's reviews are pretty good for them. Besides that my favourite board is the Sabertooth from Asus, running a V Formula on my spare rig and I'm not an overt fan.
    Can't say I'd go for the ASRock board, @d1nky had one and said the VRM's had heat issues when overclocking, plus the one I had was pretty cheaply made (but that was ITX, and has no bearing to this).

10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I have had 0 issue with both of my ASRock mobo's ( Z68\Z77).

11. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    ive had 0 issues on my Asrock mobo at the moment. although, looking at giga board on my next rig. wanna try something different of course...

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. StrongForce New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool thanks guys.. yea my eyes are set on the MSI right now, after all my first mobo was MSI and never had troubles with it :).

If I had the money i'd probably would go for the sabertooth yea.. love that one.

due to some unexpected "fail" of my PSU though, i bought a new one 760AXi corsair..(I wanted that 7 year warranty, and uber quality eheh, PS awesome review at techpowerup !) and my budget is more restricted... so I'm still not entirely sure what I'm gonna do whether I wait for that haswell 4670k or just get some cheaper build like FX-8320 altought the power consumption does suck... I'm also curious to see what the new AMD APU will do.. i've read it's out the 14.. would be nice if that chip is worthy for gaming, but I doubt.

And hope the reviews will come before the 14 :D.