1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

upgrading router & or adapter

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by stayplation3, Mar 25, 2010.

1. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    on my wired pc with my current router i get normal speeds on speedtest.net but my ping on everything i play is really high, i think it might be cuz the router is so old and cheap. im lookin at gettin a new one and a new adapter for my 2nd pc. will a new router help my ping on games? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166042 will that help? and i was gonna get this adapter for my 2nd pc http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320048 and the router also comes with an adapter.. but its a usb one. i heard those are a little slower than the pci ones. are they?

2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    speed and ping are different.

the way to know if it's the router or not is to plug the wire directly into your computer, bypassing the router. then if it gets the same speeds it's likely your ISP but also possibly your NIC

3. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Firstly I suggest you connect your PC directly to the modem, and then test your connection/ping. This will let you know if it is the router causing the slow ping time's, Things to take into account is your line, are you connecting via your phone line? ie: BT, TalkTalk, Tiscalli etc or is it cable ie: Virgin media?

If you live in a rural area or far from exchange center then thing's such as these can affect your connect speed and ping.

As digibucc stated it could also be your NIC (network interface card), if you see no chance in your ping timing once you've connected directly to the modem then I would try using the 2nd PC you mentioned of to test your ping timing.

4. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    lolz i jus tested my ping with and without the router and it was about 20 less WITH the router :X still high tho i have shit internet. i guess i really dont need a new router just a new adapter for my 2nd pc but my router is only 54mbps so ill get a 54mbps adapter but wut kind of speed should i expect with that?

5. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    20 less with extra hardware? that makes absolutely no sense.

there is no high speed internet in the US as fast as 54mb, and it's rare around the world.

local file copy may go slower, but 54MBPs -G will not slow down your internet.

6. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Sounds to me like his line isn't too stable anyway's.

but as digibucc say's (again) 54mbps wireless G router's and WLAN cards or USB's will not slow down your internet speed.

Damn I even have the odd online game using my WLAN USB dongle :D + hit speeds of 10mb (my limit) without any problem's, however I have known more WLAN USB dongle's to go down than I have WLAN PCI card's.

7. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:

Uh, Look again... I am close at 50 from Verizon, but wait; look again;Optimum Online Ultra and Greenlight. How is that for 100Mbps!

But, I believe he is, maybe, talking about 54 as the wireless speed as in 802.11g.

@stayplation3> go here and test your ping and other stuff: Pitstop's Internet Connection Center.

Your ping is probably, to a point, beyond your control.

8. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    250ms is generally fine for online games, 150 for shooters. if you're below those, wouldnt worry.

9. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    wow i wish i lived in an area where optimum online is available... here theres 1 isp and its shitty dsl with a max speed of 10mb download and 768k upload and on speed tests i get about 8mb down and 750k up with a 300 ping.. f**k centurylink

10. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    lol i wish. i get 500-700 on mmorpgs and 500-700 on shooters. i used to have road runner 30mb down 2.5mb up and id get 5-20 on mmorpgs and shooters. i miss cable :(

11. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah im 250 on wow and usually can find 100ms shooter servers. 500-700 is quite unfortunate. im on dsl 12/1. There is one cable provider here that offers those speeds but its $100 per month i believe.