1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading system, need advice :)

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by FCB, Jan 4, 2012.

1. FCB New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys!

I have a computer that i bought in 2008 and the specs for my pc are
    CPU: Intel Core 2 duo E8500
    MB: Asus p5q-e
    GC: ATI Radeon HD 3650
    PS: Corsair 450W CMPSU-450VXEU
    Ram: DDR2 4GB PC8500 Corsair XMS2 Domina,(2x2048MB)EPP
    HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ
    Cooling system: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme + Noctua S12-1200. And 3 Nexus 120mm in my case.

what i had in mind was upgrading my MB, CPU, RAM and HDD. here are the specs

Intel Core i7 2600K 3,4GHz Socket 1155 Box
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3
    Intel 320 Series 2.5" SSD 80GB
    Corsair XMS3 Vengeance DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL9 4x4GB
    Samsung EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 32MB 2TB

I want a fast computer that will still be good enough for 2 years so thats why i have the ssd hdd and a 2TB hdd for storage. I do not play games on my pc but i have it on 24/7 and i use it for mostly surfing the web, watch HD movies and utorrent running 24/7. I feel the system i have right now is not keeping up with what i do. I also use Mathematica and Catia/Solidworks sometimes. Do i need a new graphic card as well? Do i need a new Power supply?

My price range is at 800$

Btw, i live in Sweden so the prices are probably different here. So can you give me some advice if this is good or bad? :)
  2. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    looks to be a good upgrade mate, me personally i would prob get a new psu but only if the 450 is over 2 years old, i wouldnt want to risk the system breaking in 9 months due to it, and i wouldnt buy a gfx card straight away as the 3650 will do the job though if you start doing more solidworks etc and find performance not optimal give it a month or so and gfx card prices will start to drop (hopefully) due to newer gen cards coming out, also be advised 80gig ssd might seem enough but after an os has been on it a while not much else will fit.:)
    FCB says thanks.
  3. FCB New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thx mate. Didnt think they would break down that easily, but 450w is enough or should i go with somethin more powerful? :)
  4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Seems like you have a good list going there ^^

The Ultra should be good enough for the 2600K, They run quite cool. mine at 4.3ghz doesnt go over 56 deg full load with corsair A70 push/pull.

Your PSU may need to be changed to something like a 650-750W to keep up with a newer video card. Corsairs builder series are good places to start or the new TX models.

As for video cards, it will mostly be about your preference. The AMD 6950/70 2GB cards are very nice! If your an nvidia fan then the newer PCB 560TI 2GB trades blows with the 6970 2gb.

Give us more feedback on what you would like.
    FCB says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    GPU: Check to see if Solidworks supports CUDA and go with maybe an inexpensive nvidia card (think gt550 ti spec). As far as everything else, you did well with very nice selections.
    FCB says thanks.
  6. FCB New Member

Thanks Received:
    But do i need a new gpu? Cuz its very rarely i use Solidworks/Catia on my home pc, its for school only and im done in 6 months, and mostly i use the pcs at school when i do the work. Because if i have to buy a GPU just because of those programs ill do all my work in school instead :p cuz then i have to cut down on the other stuff, probably have to change the i7 to a i5 2500k and i really dont want to do that :) And i never play games on my pc, i play all my games(mostly fifa 12 :p ) on my PS3. What do i need for powersupply then? Is 500w ok?

And thanks for all the replies :)
  7. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    dont swap the card then mate retry in new system and either way wait a bit, and 500 would be fine if your not going to oc much or get a big gfx card and a 450 corsair will power that system ok but i doubt it would give you much oc or upgrade headroom but that may not matter to you.;)
    FCB says thanks.
  8. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    The 450W is fine. Ok well just mentioning it. 2600k; do you really want to overclock? Could probably cut that budget down quite a bit by going a p67 & 2600 non k if not.
    FCB says thanks.
  9. FCB New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, i will do that :)
    I was thinking about OC at least to 4.0ghz, maybe 4.3. What kind of ram do u recommend so i can oc them aswell? Would 550w be enough with OC or should i get 600w. Im crap at knowing how much power i need :p

I am going to OC my system so i think im going to go with the 2600k :)
  10. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I must say, the 2600K/2500K chips OC very nicely! I have mine on 4.3ghz stock volts and it runs like a champ!
    FCB says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. mcloughj

Thanks Received:
    Just buying the SSD will give your current system such a boost you won't need the rest, considering what you use it for.
    FCB says thanks.
  12. FCB New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so i changed the 80 gb to 120gb but im going to wait and buy the new hdd for storage, i have one 1tb and 3x320gb hdd, so im going to settle with those for now. just the one thing i need help with is how much powersupply do i need if im going to oc my system?

EDIT: Sry mcloughj, didnt see your post when i posted. Yeah, your probably right, but i still feel like my system is old so i want to upgrade it anyway :)

EDIT 2: Found this new swedish company who has got great reviews and i think ill buy the Fractal Design Tesla 550W if u guys give me the green light :)
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
    mcloughj says thanks.
  13. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    I would not experiment with Fractal Design PSUs, instead go for a trusted brand like Corsair or Seasonic. But why a new PSU when you will not use a GPU? That Corsair you have should be enough don't waste money now on a new one. Anyway for what you plan to do and i7 is overkill but if you feel it's worth it then go for it.
  14. FCB New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, ill wait with the psu then, will go with the one i got. I have to mention though that ive used it since september 2008, but havent had any problems with it under all this time.

And thank you ALL for your advices. I ordered my items today and hopefully they will arrive without any factory defects :D