1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading to Q9550... maybe...

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by ArmoredCavalry, Dec 18, 2008.

1. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, Newegg had this 15% cash back deal the other day (with paypal). I picked up a q9550 2.83ghz core 2 quad, which, with cash back, ran me $270. So now I can either a) sell the q9550 and make $50, or b) sell my e6750 for about $100, bringing the cost of the upgrade to $170 total (plus time/effort).

One question is, would I really notice a huge improvement in overall computing experience upgrading to this chip from my e6750? I know that a quad core would improve most video encoding times, however, that is not necessarily enough to make me want to spend this much on a cpu. :\ One thing I was interested in is the Xfire broadcast feature (don't know if anyone is familiar with it). Basically it encodes in-game video as you record it, and uploads it, so others can watch it live. It causes a huge hit on fps, and I'm wondering if, with a quad core, I would get much better results (would the video encode on 2 cores say, while the game is using the other 2).

Overall my system plays the most recent games fairly well, however, I sort of expected the 4870 to handle Fallout 3 and GTA 4 better, and can't help wondering if my CPU is the bottleneck (even clocked at 3.2ghz).

Anyhow, does anyone have experience with this chip, and can share their experience?

2. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    GTA4 has been shown to be pretty heavily CPU dependent. The quad will definitely show you some love there. It will also keep you pretty future proof; as much as you can be without going i7/Phenom II.

One I get some scratch saved up, I think the q9550 is gonna be my next purchase.

3. ArmoredCavalry

Thanks Received:
    Ok, yeah I put it in the other day, you are right about a big difference in GTA4. It is actually one of the few games where I noticed a huge improvement.

One thing that does seem a little odd is the temps on this thing... The first day, at stock clock, it was going above idling at 40c and going above 60c within 2 minutes of 100% cpu use.

After 1 on/off cycle, it was still going between 60-61c under heavy load. Now, as I type this, after 2 on/off cycles, it has reached 57c, and seems to be staying there.

I guess arctic silver 5 takes 200 hours to fully cure, but I really don't remember temps being so high the first couple days when I used it with my e6750. I'm thinking maybe I need to redo the ac5...

4. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, you might reseat the HS. What heatsink are you using? Those seem to be fairly high temps regardless.....

5. ArmoredCavalry

Thanks Received:
    I'm using the stock intel one. Although I ordered this one yesterday. Figured for that price, its a good investment. :)

I think I will try re-seating the intel one now though, see if that helps at all.

6. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
  7. ArmoredCavalry

Thanks Received:
    Meh, I have a small case + I already ordered the other one.

O well. :(

8. boredgunner

boredgunner

Thanks Received:
    I have the same CPU cooler you ordered and it gets the job done. My overclocked E8400 (also running at higher voltages) idles just below 30 degrees Celsius and only gets to the low forties under load. The XIGMATEK HDT-S1282 would've been a better choice, they do have a smaller version as well (92mm fan). I don't know how well the Arctic Cooling FREEZER 7 PRO will cool an overclocked Q9550 but it shouldn't be a problem, unless you're shooting for some real high overclocks.