1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading to wireless N

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Techtu, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    So it's come to the point where my current wireless card has had it, and now having a wireless N capable router I may aswel go and buy a wireless N PCI card but the issue I have is which do I go for?

Here's two I was looking at NETGEAR RangeMax Next Wireless-N and Cisco Linksys Wireless-N PCI Adapter

Now they're both suppose to work under 64bit OS but seen afew comments about the Netgear not working correctly under this, but I've always been a fan of Netgear too (maybe that's the problem here, and I need a little push in a good direction).

If any of you have either of these could you please tell me your experiences? and for those who use other adapters... what isit your using and how's the signal range/quality?
  2. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    ...Little advice please :)

Been reading about the Cisco/Linksys model and some are not happy with that either so maybe I should go for something else?

I hate shopping for wireless thing's :banghead:
  3. timta2

Thanks Received:
    The Netgear one is Draft-N with a max of 270Mb/sec. Not sure about the Cisco/Linksys which is also Draft-N, since it's not stated. Whether you could ever achieve that theoretical max is unknown.
    Techtu says thanks.
  4. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    I should mention (mainly for those here in the UK) that the router I'm using is a BT HomeHub 3.

The chip used in this is a Atheros AR9227 + more on the BT HomeHub can be found here.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  5. f22a4bandit

f22a4bandit

Thanks Received:
    I personally use the Cisco AE1000 USB N adapter. The range and speed are great, plus it also does dual band if you want to run on 5 ghz to avoid interference.