• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading to wireless N

So it's come to the point where my current wireless card has had it, and now having a wireless N capable router I may aswel go and buy a wireless N PCI card but the issue I have is which do I go for?

Here's two I was looking at NETGEAR RangeMax Next Wireless-N and Cisco Linksys Wireless-N PCI Adapter

Now they're both suppose to work under 64bit OS but seen afew comments about the Netgear not working correctly under this, but I've always been a fan of Netgear too (maybe that's the problem here, and I need a little push in a good direction).

If any of you have either of these could you please tell me your experiences? and for those who use other adapters... what isit your using and how's the signal range/quality?

...Little advice please :)

Been reading about the Cisco/Linksys model and some are not happy with that either so maybe I should go for something else?

I hate shopping for wireless thing's :banghead:

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
The Netgear one is Draft-N with a max of 270Mb/sec. Not sure about the Cisco/Linksys which is also Draft-N, since it's not stated. Whether you could ever achieve that theoretical max is unknown.

I should mention (mainly for those here in the UK) that the router I'm using is a BT HomeHub 3.

The chip used in this is a Atheros AR9227 + more on the BT HomeHub can be found here.

Last edited:
System Name Bandit 2: Ryzen Boogaloo
Processor AMD R5 3600X
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Stock
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB @ 3200
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 5700XT
Storage Samsung 960 EVO m.2 500GB; Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Display(s) Viotek GN32Q
Case Fractal Design Define C
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750
Mouse Cougar Revenger S
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 10 Professional
I personally use the Cisco AE1000 USB N adapter. The range and speed are great, plus it also does dual band if you want to run on 5 ghz to avoid interference.