1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"Upgrading" Windows 7 RC to full retail with a different language, can it be done?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Thrackan, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Hello gentlemen,

So before the bihourly shutdowns begin in March, I got myself a copy of Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (Dutch), and I attempted an upgrade yesterday.
    I did the cversion.ini fix and the registry settings for the product name, which basically allows you to update your RC version to Home Premium.

The last hurdle is a little more annoying though: I'm trying to see if I can install the Dutch version over the en-US localized RC, but until now without success.

What I've tried:
    - Downloaded the Dutch language pack for the RC, installed it and set every single language setting to Dutch. Setup gives me an incompatibility notice and prompts me to do a full install.

- Downloaded the English language pack for the Retail version and merged it with the install files. Then modified the "lang" file to give me a choice between English and Dutch, which works. Somehow though, I keep getting an error that not all files could be found.

Now I've already backed up my stuffs, so I'm ready to try a few more OS hacks in order to see if I can get the upgrade done, but I simply don't know what else I can try.

Keep in mind that I want to try this just for kicks, "Just do a clean install." is what I will do anyway even if I manage to make this upgrade work. I just want to see if I can.