1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading...

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Spider-Vice, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Spider-Vice New Member

Thanks Received:
    After 4 years with my humble Q6600, I decided to dispose of it, it's getting old. Well, it'll still have to suffice probably for a few months until I get the money, but this rig is what I'm going to get:I already have a newer graphics card, the HD6870 bought last month, for starters (I had the nVidia GT 220...).
    My new specs will be an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 mobo, an i5 3750k and 8 gigs of Corsair Vengeance RAM, the graphics card will be the HD6870 which I bought beforehand to play even with the Q6600, at least so I could peacefully wait until I can get the new rig.
    This will total around 390-410 euros in some stores (Portugal), and I don't want to spend more, so my question is, will this upgrade be significant compared to the Q6600? I mean, I know the i5 is more recent and has more clock speed, but it still has only 4 cores. (Recent CPU noob!) And I hope the HD6870 won't bottleneck it, even though it's not a bad card, runs a lot of recent games nearly maxed or even maxed...

So to make things clear, I'm probably going with this rig regardless of suggestions, it is mainly for gaming and video rendering purposes, but if you have suggestions, you're welcome to give them. Hope this will be a huge upgrade from my current oldie machine :) All those questions are quite due to my personality: I want to be sure of things even before I get them, even though I realise it's a significant upgrade? :p

Oh and sorry if the post seems confusing, as you might've noticed, I'm Portuguese.
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    The gains will be very large for you, using the same 6870 VGA. Maybe 15 FPS or more, just from CPU change, 3570k from Q6600.
  3. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    3570K is more than a significat upgrade over the Q6600 (if you were running that CPU at stock clocks it will be night and day difference). Good choice, enjoy!
  4. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    I have to agree with this as i used to own the HD6870 and going from my Q6600 to an I5 2550k made a lot of diffrence.
  5. Spider-Vice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for all the answers! Glad to know, yes, I am running the Q6600 at stock speeds... So good to know the gains will be considerable. Probably it is the Q6600 bottlenecking the HD6870 in certain games :p