1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upping FSB without pci/agp lock?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Jasmeleg, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Jasmeleg New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so I have been overclocking my amd xp 2000+ from 1.67ghz ro 2.02ghz forever. I have done it with mostley all multiplier. It is stock 12.5x133 and I have it at 15x135. I havent upped my fsb enough to change the pci/ agp speeds because I have via and dont have an agp/pci lock. I was wondering what happens to the stuff in the agp and pci slots when you up the frequency from 33/66 to over that? All I have used are of course my agp witch is a GF4 Ti4200 and I hava a sound card which is a Turtle beach santa cruz yes I know dell card. Does it have any adverse effect on the devices? I have heard from a friend that it can ultimately blow up the cards. Is this true?

2. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    What happens is that when you increase your fsb the agp/pci clocks go up as well. They become very unstable quickly, and cause your system to crash. The will not damage your hardware from their speed, but making the system crash can. Its very hard to get any amout of a overclock without a lock.

-Dan

3. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    it can, quickly, but tehre is usually quite a bit of leeway to play with.

Just read up on how to use the PCI/agp dividers correctly if you ahve control, otherwise youll have to google for what speeds your pci dividers automatically kick in. I know the ECS k7s5a had a divider for 200fsb that would kick in, but trouble was getting taht high :/