1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

UPS and "Pure Sine wave"

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Fleurious, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Fleurious

Fleurious

Thanks Received:
    I'm looking for a ~1kW UPS for my computer setup, ideally under $500CDN.

The Cyberpower-CP1500PFCLCD stands out as being the best value, but despite Cyberpower calling it a "Pure Sine Wave" this review says that it is "a modified triangular wave that CyberPower calls “Adaptive Sinewave”". Does anyone know how this compares? I don't want to have problems down the road by cheaping out on a UPS.

The Opti-UPS Durable Series DS1500B will cost at least twice that but it uses a sine wave AND has double-conversion topology which should improve the quality of juice going into the PSU. The biggest downsides are that it is not nearly as efficient (91% vs 99% on the Cyberpower) and it is rather loud.

Found another one PR1500LCD, this one is a little cheaper than the Opti-UPS. I can't find a review of it though.

Mainly concerned about getting the UPS now because while watching TV today I flipped the light switch on the wall to turn off the light in the room and my TV goes black then turns on again right away. If I turned the light back on everything is normal, but when I turn the light off again the TV flickers black and back on. It happens every time.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I know Ford would recommend the Cyberpower brand one he has a 1350VA one I believe.

I have an APC one though. BackUPS-XS1000 (1000VA 600w) Their batteries are easier to find of the brands becuase they are the most known. I've had mine since 12.06.11 and it's been very very good and has paid for itself allready. 3 (outage) 4 (elec.noise) power events since last reboot at 79:08:20 uptime on this server (yes that's days).

I cannot speak for the Opti-UPS brand one though. It seems like the best value to me. However it doesn't inc. a USB cable (my APC one did) so you'll have to get one (not a micro though a regular one) and double conversion just means it runs off battery more. In my APC software I can tell it how much to run off battery:

[​IMG]

and the sensitivity as well:

[​IMG]

I would have gotten the Cyberpower equ. one but it wasn't available locally and shipping would have added a lot to it and I had a fixed budget. The APC option was 35-55USD cheaper. Same wattage. I paid 119USD for mine.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
    Fleurious says thanks.
  3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I would. The only problem is that I haven't had mine long enough to know if it likes to kill active PFC PSUs.

Fleurious says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU