1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

UPS failing?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by C&C Freak 2K, Aug 1, 2005.

1. C&C Freak 2K New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a somewhat aged APS BackUPS 450, featuring 4 gounded outlets and a serial interface. A few years ago, I tried to integrate the interface with Windows, but Windows was always reporting less than 1 minute left on the battery, and subsequently shut down upon start up. It's been a while now, and the UPS seems to be exibiting some problems. Mainly, at 6AM on the dot, the UPS will beep as if it lost power for a few moments (I can hear the relay click). One morning, the beep was warbled, and momentarily, everything on the UPS lost power. It wasn't for a significant time, but just enough to cause the computer to reset. Everything else in my room, including the server (on a powerstrip on a seperate power outlet) remained on as if nothing happened at all. Adding to this, whenever I connect something on the outlet on the other side of the room to the UPS that causes a spark, the UPS will beep. I'm wondering, are these warning signs that the UPS is failing?
  2. CaTalyst.X New Member

Thanks Received:
    If something is sparking and clicking, thats never good :D I would say just dont risk your hardware and go buy a new UPS, there only $85-$150 for a good one that will last you a while.

-CaT
  3. C&C Freak 2K New Member

Thanks Received:
    The relay is supposed to click, because it's a switching UPS.

I'll investigate a new UPS soon then, possibly with an integrated surge protector and maybe even a line conditioner.