1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

UPS Selection ?'s

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Darbycrash, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Darbycrash New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey As,

I am not concerned as much about run-time during a power out situation as much as just being able to keep my PC running when the UPS is plugged into a live (normal) power source.

The wording on a UPS is kind of deceiving. You would think that a 900w UPS has a 900 watt output only when the line power is out. However it actually means that it can only handle 900w of load power (anything after the ups) at it;s peak performance no matter if the line power (utility) is on or off.

1 minute of run time is enough for me as I am just mainly getting the UPS for protection from grid anomalies.

2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    Then why do you want a UPS? a surge protector can help for much less without the complication, and no matter what you do it's not enough - you should always back up your data and EXPECT loss, plan for it.

3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, 900w is the max the electronics in the UPS can handle. I'm not sure if it includes surge-only, battery-only, or surge+battery but it is most likely battery-only.

You want at least 5 minutes of runtime: two minutes to save stuff, three minutes to shut down. As long as the overloaded alarm isn't going off, it should be able to supply that much time.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    My 900w Cyberpower UPS can handle my i7 875 overclocked in my main rig with SLI GTX470s at full load, so I'd say it can handled the SLI 780s. Of course with game load the runtime is like 1 minute... But once I stop the game the runtime jumps to 5+ minutes.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. Darbycrash New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hii,
    A surge protector protects against surges like short circuits in the grid or lightening overloads. A UPS does this as well, but it also works to clean power line anomalies like under/over voltages that can damage electronics. They do this because they use a battery to store and send power to your device. It is it's own power filter/source. The benefit of it is that it can also work as a small generator. I want it for the filtering properties.

6. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    Most people think the point of a UPS is so you never need to shut down - wrong. It's only to give you time to save and shut down. That said, it's also a great way to clean the power to your computer, IF and ONLY IF you use a high quality. A lousy UPS will do little to no filtering, lag in switching to the battery letting the voltage dip quite much, then provide unclean power while running from battery. So, if you're going to use a UPS use a high quality unit. I prefer APC personally never let me down - just as with any manufacturer they make some models better than others, so don't go for the cheapest APC you can find.

7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Was just letting you know is all :)..

Well when our power has dipped which has been about 3 times in it's life time every thing has stayed on and you just hear the fan kick in for a short while.

[​IMG]

8. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I got a 620w Antec HGC-620M and I got an APC Back-UPS 1000VA and I can run at full load for 28 minutes and "normal" load for 55 minutes. Not too bad for a 120USD UPS.