1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

URGENT: Creative X-FI Speaker Config Problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Nzaonline, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Nzaonline

Nzaonline New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello again guys

Sound System: Logitech z-5500
    PC: Dell 9150, Windows XP SP3

Sound Card: Creative X-FI Extreme Music B8E0
    Audio Drivers Installed:SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0004 for X-FI

Disabled Onboard Integrated Audio In Bios

I have an issue where when I play mp3s in winamp and have the creative sound card set to 7.1 speakers the music sounds a bit low and unclear. It also will not allow me to hear the voice lets says on youtube if I stream properly on 6ch Direct

Logitech Control Pod Effects using 2/2.1
    Stereo x2 - clear in all speakers
    PLII Music Sounds Clear - clear in all speakers

Other effect options like 6Channel Direct not giving audible sound in rear speakers as if I was to select Effect PLII Music via the Logitech Control Pod

However when I go and restore the defaults it sets it back to 2/2.1 speakers and I can hear everything crispy clear.

Is this a glitch with the drivers not setting my cards to 7.1 and allowing me to hear clearly on that setting?

Please advise.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    go into Windows Control Panel - open Sounds & Audio devices - go to the box at the bottom of the window labeled "Speaker Settings" and hit the 'advanced' button - set your configuration here to 7.1 as well - the open speaker volume settings and hit "restore defaults" - then adjust it from there.

If you want to switch back to 2.1, you'll have to set it in both Console Launcher, as well as WIN control panel. IIRC, though, the newest driver versions properly synch Creative's software with WIN control panel, eliminating the need for manually reseting the settings.

3. Nzaonline

Nzaonline New Member

Thanks Received:
    I followed your guidance and when I test the mp3 in winamp again audio is still muffled out on the 7.1settings. When i go back to 2/2.1 on the X-FI console audio settings its crystal clear again. I also have winamp pointing to the right sound card.

What I am concerned about is how come are things sounding so crispy clear all round on 2/2.1 and not 7.1?

4. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

well - usually when the only the LF and RF speakers have any sound with 5.1/7.1 setups, it's typically that WIN control panel is still set to 2-channel stereo. What happens is, because WIN has direct control of the hardware, it seems to assume that it's settings are correct and over-rides the X-Fi drivers. Either way, the speakers that sound muffled don't have anything being output through those channels.

Make sure your volume settings within WIN control panel aren't set to 0% as well.

5. Nzaonline

Nzaonline New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe it is over riding because the tick option in Creative Audio console for Sync with Microsoft Windows Control Panel is not giving me clear audio for 7.1 but it is for 2/2.1

Is this creative X-FI series driver compatible X-FI Audio B8E0? SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0004

6. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, you have an X-Fi Xtreme Audio?

Then, no, that driver version isn't compatible (I'm surprised it would even install). The most current driver pack for the Xtreme Audio is 1.04.0079

BTW, for future reference, you can check this thread: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=40613 - I update the driver versions in post #1 as new packages are released.

7. Nzaonline

Nzaonline New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you very much. I will get the right driver. Should I uninstall this one 1st then install or just make the right driver flush it out forcing a restart install?

Please advise

8. Nzaonline

Nzaonline New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi I checked the creative soundblaster site and its the Xtreme X-FI Music Card I had fitted. I tried installing the one you told me to and it was saying onboard device not detected.

But I installed the Direct X and other component referred in link.

Still a little baffled why 2/2.1 is way clearer in sound than 7.1

If you find out why my card is giving me clearer sound via the Logitech Z-5500 please let me know.

Thanks

9. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry - I'm a little confused . . . which model X-Fi do you own?

10. Lordbollo

Lordbollo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Um why are you trying to run 7.1 sound through a 5.1 speaker set up anyway dude. I am using an X-fi and have the z-5500d's and all sounds great I i have it set up for 5.1 or lower eg 2.1 setup or 4.1, but I must say it never occured to me to try and run a setup where the computer will take the sounds and split em up to speakers that don't exist. You need to set it up for 5.1 sound and make sure all the jacks are in the right ports.

11. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Set Winamp to use WaveOut. Install AC3 Filter (google "K-Lite CODEC pack", install it.).

12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    we need to narrow down if the problem is the sound card, the speakers, or your settings.

MP3's are only 2.0 channel, so something has to upmix them - either let the soundcard or the speakers do it, but not both.

7.1 aint gunna work, as these are only 5.1 speakers. Since the majority of X-fi cards dont support dolby encoding, you should probably be using analogue for this, and then pro-logic on the speakers.

13. Nzaonline

Nzaonline New Member

Thanks Received:
    I set the speakers to 5.1 and when I play mp3s in winamp selecting PLII music effect on Logitech Control pod it goes low, however when I restore defaults it sets itself back to 2/2.1 and the mp3 is crispy clear.

I also notice that when I select effect 6channel I dont get strong rear speaker sound, but when I select other effects (e.g PLII Music, Stereo, Stereo X2 etc) I get clearer rear speaker sounds

14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    disable the speakers and sound cards setting to upmix the audio. if MP3's still come out of your rear speakers (terrible or not) then it means something else is interfering - lets check that out first.

15. Nzaonline

Nzaonline New Member

Thanks Received:
    I disabled my X-Fi via device manager and restarted and I get no sound when I do that cause no cards are present.

I also notice that when I select 5.1 in speaker settings I dont get sound from streaming online video and just hear a bass sound. But can hear voice streaming online via 2/2.1

16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i dont mean disalbe the soundcards, i just mean the upmixing features. on creative soundcards thats called CMSS, and on the Z55's its dolby pro logic.

17. Nzaonline

Nzaonline New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sup fam

It was the X-FI CMSS 3D interfering. When I de-tick the option 5.1 surround is crispy now in winamp and streaming online audio.

Thank you!!!

18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    no problems. :toast:

19. Nzaonline

Nzaonline New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am noticing that 6 Channel direct with CMSS 3D option de-ticked I dont get sound from the rear speakers. However Stereox2 and PLII options work ok (all 5 speakers have sound) with it when 5.1 speaker options + CMSS 3D is not ticked.

Does anyone else have this issue with their X-FI Xtreme Music cards?

20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    you got 2 channel audio. its not going to come out of the rears, without something upmixing it.
    CMSS is the sound cards version, pro logic is the speakers version - if neither are on, you're getting out what you're putting in - and thats two channels worth of sound.

21. Nzaonline

Nzaonline New Member

Thanks Received:
    So if I play my mp3s via winamp on PLII Music effect, you saying I am depending on the Logitech Speakers to give me the quality output over the creative X-FI right?

22. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    yes. MP3's are stereo. they arent 5.1, so without something copying the music to the other channels, you only get front left and front right.

CMSS means the X-fi is doing it, pro logic is the speakers doing it - i cant really make it any clearer than that.

23. Nzaonline

Nzaonline New Member

Thanks Received:
    So the best effect on the Logitech control pod for my mp3s would be Stereo x2 correct?

24. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    that entirely depends on taste. stereo x2 doubles it (so theres no center or sub).
    Pro logic does mess with the sub/center, but imo it makes the rears sound funny. So its really up to you.

25. Nzaonline

Nzaonline New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well PLII Music effect is giving nice surround sound over Stereo x2 which disables my centre speaker. Rears sound ok for me on PLII Music option with X-Fi Extreme Music card