1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Urgently need help, Flashed HD6950 both bios, won't boot.

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by SanderValk, Jan 30, 2013.

1. SanderValk New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi! I accidentally flashed both of my bios on my club 3d HD 6950 (2gb)

How can i restore the original bios? I have a spare card in my primary pci-e right now, and my 6950 in my second, i understand that i have to flash the original bios back now somehow, how do i do it in cmd?

edit: i did atiwinflash -f -p 1 {BIOS BINARY FILE} instead of -f -p 0 {BIOS BINARY FILE} but it says i have no valid adapter, although my card is in the slot and making lots of noise at that.
    also, if i have the card on it's bios no. 1, my pc blue screens on bootup, then boots and if i have it on the bios no. 2, it will be stuck at the windows loading logo

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

You require a backup of the original or original bios for Club HD 6950

Look here if you do not have a backup there maybe one in the vga bios database- http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...rer=Club3D&model=HD 6950&interface=&memSize=0

ATI Winflash CMD command line flash from backup

*If you are able to access windows with a spare vga card or onboard vga; Uninstall any AMD drivers for the vga card

Download and install latest version of ATI Winflash from here - http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2107/ATI_Winflash_2.0.1.18.html

Place barts.bin in the ati winflash main directory

In windows task bar goto
    - Click Start Button
    - Type "cmd"
    - Right click the entry and select "Run as Administrator"
    - Black command prompt windows opens
    - Type "cd c:\winflash"
    - Type "atiwinflash -unlockrom 0" <-- the 0 means first adapter, try 1 if you have booted to the PCI card
    - Type "atiwinflash -f -p 0 barts.bin" OR again 1 as the case may be
    - It should complete the flashing process with a message saying something with "verified"
    Note: *ensure all non essential background tasks are closed while undertaking this procedure within the windows enviroment

Source; Tatty_One - here

How to recover from a bad HD 6950 flash

*If you are able to access windows with a spare vga card or onboard vga; Uninstall any AMD drivers for the vga card

Try this first - look here under the heading *What if something goes wrong?*

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159

*If the above dose not have the desired effect goto Next

Next

go here http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/browse.php?c=21

grab- HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - v2.1.8 & Windows 98 System Files

click Primary Download unzip the files to a folder on your HDD; make sure your USB Memory stick is attached to your PC; open HP USB Disk

Storage Format Tool v2.1.8 ; select Creat a DOS startup disk/ select: using DOS system files located at: (these are the files you have just downloaded): browse to the files in win98boot; then start the process.

Download latest version of ATIFlash here - http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2166/ATIFlash 3.99.html

Add atiflash and 6950 bios.rom to the usb flash drives root directory

*Select position #1 on the vga PCB switchable vbios before flashing

Set the motherboard bios to boot from usb *press F8 during boot; select from boot menu if option is avalable; this should boot to a win98 dos prompt

Type at the dos prompt - dir to veiw the content of the flash drive

Type at the dos prompt; atiflash -i command at 1 to see if adapter is at this address and is recognised

Type at the dos prompt; atiflash -unlockrom 0 to unlock the gpu in adapter 0 [Note: 0 is the primary card PCIe slot one & 1 is the secondary PCIe slot two][*may be required]

Type at the dos prompt; atiflash -f -p 0 [#name of bios#].rom [Note: 0 is the primary card PCIe slot one & 1 is the secondary PCIe slot two]

reboot once finished and remove the flash drive

reinstall AMD Catalyst Drivers

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  3. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    Law-II allways helping, he solved my problem too http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176001 AtiWinFlash sometime doesnt work correctly while Atiflash under a dos prompt (boot) works perfectly (i used the bios in the bios database of tpu)

since its exactly the same card i hope it will work too.

Law-II says thanks.
  4. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    In several hundred flashes I have never had Winflash fail me, maybe I have been lucky! Winflash is by far your easiest solution here though, just select the appropriate adapter (0 or 1) where the 6950 is and you should be sorted surely?

Law-II says thanks.
  5. wofy New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you still can't detect the adapter, there used to be another method. When I had an RV770(HD 4870) card I managed to brick it by changing its model number. Using a dos USB drive, atiflash and an autoexec.bat(with the flash parameters) while shorting the vbios chip allowed a flash. You would have had to short the two power pins on opposite sides and let go of them once the USB drive was being read. I can't remember if this still applies to Cayman tho.

Just something to look into if you can't fix it in the 'conventional' way.:)

6. SanderValk New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so, i think i have it fixed now, im using the card atm, but i noticed that the gpu clock and memory are very different from the defaults, is that normal?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  7. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Yes it will be if you did not use your original Bios.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. SanderValk New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im trying to restore the original bios, i thought i had accomplished this just now when i got it to boot up, i installed the latest drivers and yet it doesn't let me play games or even enable Aero effects, saying that i need to update drivers

edit: Im now certain that i have the right bios on, i've checked it in every possible way, now there's just the problem with windows..

edit2: i think i got it working fine now, the only problem now is the temperatures, the gpu gets a bit hotter than it used to and makes more noise, why?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013