1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

US Military Bans Medal of Honor

Discussion in 'Games' started by HookeyStreet, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
  2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    wow - too much. I see your post there too :)

America may not be sheltered by brute force as other countries are - but we're scared sheep nonetheless. It's amazing how much strength ridiculous ideas can gain in this country.
  3. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    :D I had to post because its all a bit silly. Ive just seen your post m8, well said ;)
    digibucc says thanks.
  4. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yeah I did as well :)
  5. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    LOL, sorry, just edited my other post, didnt see this one :)
  6. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    bad publicity is still publicity,for me the funniest is that armys that go and kill ruthlessly are whining about a GAME :roll: those army people need do grow some balls :rolleyes:
  7. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    don't you know - despite the constant killing they are of a higher moral standard than the rest of the population. just the fact that they are in the armed forces means they are braver, stronger, and more honest than the rest of us. at least... that's the image their leaders portray.

I just don't want it to get confused - like most situations it's the leaders causing the ruckus. the people who actually get killed and kill , and risk their lives , have more important things to worry about. it's the generals and such sitting on their thumbs all day trying to figure out a way to keep them out in front that are doing this.
  8. The Witcher New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's not like the game is good anyway -.- (Multiplayer-wise).

But seriously, the American's always kill people in-game (and out-game), why can't other people do the same in games ? (dammit, you get what I mean)

Beside, you play with the NATO, right ?
  9. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Now I'm totally buying this game.
    PVTCaboose1337, JATownes and digibucc say thanks.
  10. mdbrotha03

Thanks Received:
    I've been under attack by the Taliban before. Seen video's of them "shooting" service members. I wouldn't want to relive any of those moments, not even in a game again.

With that said I wouldn't ban the game from being sold. Its not like we can't drive down road or order it online.
    {JNT}Raptor and Beertintedgoggles say thanks.
  11. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    While this ban pertains to US military bases, it was the UK Defense Secratary (Liam Fox) that started the ruckus. No?
  12. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    well i think that's the point- it's not like you can't choose to NOT play it. and though you wouldn't want to play it yourself, do you have a problem with it existing? that's the main issue for me - I can understand how it can personally affect someone, so they may stay away - but for the fact that it merely exists to affect them so deeply , i don't understand that.

correct
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  13. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    This is crazy. IT IS A GAME!!! This is like people saying games cause kids to be violent. IT IS A GAME!!! I also will definately be getting this game, as BTA said.

Nothing will promote a game like it being banned. I remember the original "Soldier of Fortune" game was banned in some countries. So I bought it. Just like I will buy this.

Moral of the story. IT IS A GAME AND THE FIRST AMENDMENT APPLIES TO ALL EVEN THOSE IN THE ARMED FORCES. Grow up and let the game be played.
    digibucc says thanks.
  14. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    thank you, very much

15. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    While I agree with the idea behind your post, the first amendment does not apply to those in the armed forces while they are serving.
    driver66 says thanks.
  16. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The US military is not stopping anyone from playing the game. The troops can freely buy the game off base.
    It is simply PR so they can claim they did not support the game by banning the sales on the US bases. If you take it even a little farther, they did not ban the sales, they "requested" that the retailer not stock them and the retailers complied.
    That being said, refusing a US military "request" is usually not a smart move, especially when it involves their own bases.
  17. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    I just think this is ridiculous. The first amendment guarantees freedom of speech and freedom of religion. It seems that in the last decade that this is being interpreted more and more as Freedom of Speech, as long as the majority is not offended, and Freedom of Religion, as long as the majority is not offended. THE FIRST AMENDMENT WAS WRITTEN FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE MINORITY, NOT THE MAJORITY. THAT IS THE ENTIRE PURPOSE OF IT.

This is another example of the Founding Fathers rolling over in their graves.

I will get off my soapbox now. [/SOAPBOX]
    digibucc says thanks.
  18. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    what he means is that the armed forces has no right to infringe on the first amendment rights of the rest of the country.

though them doing it IN their bases, although I don't agree, they technically have the right.
  19. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    I don't ever remember ruthlessly killing anyone... I dunno, maybe I forgot in the heat of battle.

This is not for those of the army, rather it is for my friend SGT Winegart that got killed by these people. SGT Winegart's family does not appreciate playing as the people who killed his son... iunno.

I can understand that some people, especially those in other countries, are less than patriotic about our fight, but listen and think about what you are saying, before it comes out.
  20. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    I would argue this. The case is United States vs. Wilcox (No. 05-0159) heard before the Supreme Court on April 10, 2008. The Supreme Court ruled that Freedom of Speech does extend to Military Personnel in the US Armed Forces.

Here is the link to the decision. US vs. Wilcox (Be aware it is a PDF file)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  21. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    He did??!

Well in that case, as a Brit, you have my apologies on behalf of the dimwitted, idiotic, foolish and right out of touch with reality Govt. that didn't even win a majority vote.
    JATownes says thanks.
  22. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    while i agree the way he said it was not tactful, and he was unnecessarily harsh - no one will force SGT Winegart's family to play the game, or to play as the opfor.

I can appreciate them not wanting to play it - and not allowing it in their bases, hey it's their choice. but to say that the devs are wrong for making it or the game should not be allowed period is ridiculous. that's the part i take issue with.

yeah but legally or not, they open their mouths they are screwed.
    driver66 and JATownes say thanks.
  23. choppy

choppy

Thanks Received:
    so let me get this straight...you can play as the US / UK army in many games and go around killing russians/arabs etc

but as soon as its the other way around they spit their dummy out and start crying?

i will defo be buying this game lol
    digibucc says thanks.
  24. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The first amendment does not apply on military bases. When you sign up for the military you give up certain freedoms, and freedom of speach is one of them.

If Gamestop wants to sell the game, they are certainly welcome to as long as they are not on a Government Base.

And the soldiers are free to buy the game off base, or even online and have it shipped to the base.
    JATownes says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    exactly - people like 3870x2 seem to forget that America is not the only country or group of people in the world - and just because we always think we are right, does not mean the rest of the world does.

so does that give us the right to portray only our version and pretend the others don't exist? I don't think so.