1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

USA Senators Clinton and Lieberman launch game rating advertisments

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Dec 9, 2006.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    USA Senators Hillary Clinton and Joe Lieberman have long been advocates of the ESRB's video game rating system. Hillary Clinton worked very hard to get Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas re-rated to Adult Only due to the "hot coffee" mod, and Joe Lieberman forced the gaming industry to adopt a rating system in the mid 1990's. The senators are starting a campaign of public service announcements to get parents to understand the rating system, and are working hard to make stores not sell games to minors without parental consent. Best Buy and Gamespot have already agreed to not sell an M rated game to anyone under 17 years of age without parental consent.

Source: CNET
  2. mout12

mout12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm 21, but... God-damnit!
  3. ATIonion New Member

Thanks Received:
    ahhhhh.......some of us remember the days when parents use to parent their own children, not best buy.....seems like all we do as a society is try to "protect" kids threw the law, when really its the parents who need to step up....pay attention and PARENT...:rockout:
  4. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good thing I'll be 18 next year.
  5. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    There are so many parents out there that still don't care what their kids play, whether it's an "E" game or "M" game...those are the parents that let their kids have fun.
  6. devinXkillyou

devinXkillyou New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats very true, but when the parents aren't doing their jobs, the government needs to step in and enforce a little better. I think its good that they are doing this. Although im not one to say "videogames make kids killers" (lol), i think we should be more careful of whats influencing younger kids, mainly due to their lack of maturity.
  7. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    nah its down to the blames and claims culture that makes people not care about themselves making a mistake like that stupid woman who purchased GTA SA for a minor eventhough it was rated for adults she then tried to sue, people need to take responsibility for their own actions instead of trying to sue someone else for them.
  8. mout12

mout12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If this passes, there will be less incentive for game makers to create M rated games at all. We'll all be stuck playing Wii Sports for the rest of our lives!
  9. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    ......... dot dot dot........ I play warcraft and now I think I'm an orc.
  10. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    the average gamer is actually around 30-33ish...not 13 :pimp:

source: http://www.theesa.com/facts/top_10_facts.php

more supporting sources...http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=age average gamer&btnG=Google Search
  11. mout12

mout12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hope this info is true. Either way, I'm not voting for the B****. She should spend her time doing something that would actually make a positive difference in the world, rather than censoring America. Example: the reason it's so cool for minors to drink alcohol is because people make such a big deal about how bad it is. Kids ouside of the US drink alcohol, but they don't make a big deal about it because it's not so frowned upon. The more you try to stop something, the more it becomes a problem. If I don't get to see Half-Life ep:3 because America elects Clinton, expect a 9/11 times a thousand!