1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Usable RAM out of available RAM problem!!!

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Artas1984, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Artas1984

Thanks Received:
    Usable RAM out of available problem!

A known problem is when you you have insufficient amount of usable RAM.

If i install 3X2 Gb RAM, only 4 Gb is usable.
    If i install 6X2 Gb RAM, only 8 Gb is usable.
    If i install 6X4 Gb RAM, only 16 Gb is usable.

Whatever RAM i install, seems like a third portion of it is not being used and that just pisses me, like the rest you, probably.. Solutions have been tried to no avail:

1) update bios - did not help.
    2) msconfig/boot/advanced options/maximum memory: check & uncheck - did not help.
    3) set the RAM by default SPD (CL9 1.5V) and then by the recommended tested values (CL7 1.65V) - did not help.

What is left to do? Is this a Windows 64 bit problem or a faulty motherboard? I know many people had or still have this annoyance.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    If you have a dedicated GPU disable the integrated shared memory

or you have a bad chip. Memtest86 test it

3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Test each channel. Try running dual channel with 4 DIMMs leaving one channel out with each test. Check windows to see if it still does it depending on which DRAM channel isn't active because it sounds like one channel is always inactive so it might be a poor connection between the CPU and the motherboard. I would re-seat the CPU and look for any bent pins in the socket. If everything looks good put it back in, mount your cooler (not too tightly, too tightly can impact the connection made in the socket so don't over-tighten it,) and give it another go.

Also: If there is a problem with a DIMM, Xeon memory controllers are really good at disabling a single channel to make sure the server (Xeons are server CPUs,) still comes up even if a DIMM is bad. I suspect that if the connection is good, you had a bad DIMM on one of your channels and you always tested one of the bad DIMMs when you took some out.

This is a feature that I actually really like about Xeons and Intel's server hardware. Even if some hardware goes bad, it will bypass it to let the machine boot if it can. Uptime is the utmost importance with server hardware which is why this is awesome imho.

4. Artas1984

Thanks Received:
    I do not even have an option in my bios related to video cards, except "initialize display first".
    And the RAM have been tested already...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    So it my Zalman 9900 but sometimes you have to do it, even if it is time consuming. If you don't try to rule it out, it's always a variable. You can test the memory first and check every channel, but if a particular channel is always disabled, you're going to have to pop that cooler off and re-seat it.

6. syeef

Thanks Received:
    This would be my first guess. Check under BIOS North Bridge Settings.

7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
  8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Wow, weird... have you checked ram compatibility with that board?

9. Artas1984

Thanks Received:
    Missing pin in any socket can result in incorrect RAM diagnostic testing - after failing windows memory diagnostic i have RMA'ed my 24 Gb RAM just to find out it is ok and the problem to be the damaged motherboard.

Aquinus and Law-II say thanks.
  10. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    LGA is a little harder to fix but you can always try to straighten out the pins. I had to do this with several pins on my 940. Took quite the bit of time to straighten them all out though. Finding a good X58 board my be hard. You may want to just contemplate upgrading.