1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

USB 3.0 Proposed

Discussion in 'News' started by Polaris573, Sep 19, 2007.

1. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    Apparently the Guru is here to make us all Disciples of 1394 ;)

Please qualify your original statement. I fail to see how you proved Intel is stupid... and for that matter I don't think you offered a convincing argument that USB sucks. Are you saying it sucks because its slower than 1394? How does that follow? Does this mean anything that's not the fastest sucks? Using a similar argument, I could state that 1394 sucks because eSATA is faster.

You must see the foolishness in this logic.

Do I think 1394 is superior to USB? Yes. Would it be great if it had overtaken the personal electronics & peripherals market instead of USB? Yes. Does that make Intel or USB stupid? Certainly not.

Save the bashing/flaming for a different forum please.

2. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    All in the efforts of making things faster. This should be backwards compatible with older stuff, like USB 2.0 is. I think this is a good thing, faster is always better, but personally, I would like to see eSATA take off more.

3. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Lol it costs more because it's better. Also, all Apples have more USB ports than firewire ports. I dont understand your logic, firewire is faster than USB, but you think it should be cheaper?... :laugh:

No offense at all, and I'm not firewire biased or anything.

I'm actually using eSata for an external hard drive on my current rig :)

4. Darkrealms

Thanks Received:
    I think that the way SATA is setup (even eSATA) it is not designed for use with constant plug and play devices. I don't think any of the connections or current cable designs will hold up.
    I think FireWire is the better solution but as previously stated it lost out on the major adoption and has lost (at least for the next4 years if it does even try). I use firewire with my digital video devices but thats about it, USB is easier with other components.
    USB has well designed connectors and cables. There has been a lot of thought put into it and I think it being so cheap has a lot to do with its quantity. I wish some of the mechanics of it were redesigned. I know I don't like USB storage devices as much as firewire ones (and of coarse eSATA is faster but cables/connectors are weak).

All three have good and bad points. I'm just happy to see advancement on what is actually being adopted.

5. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    There's no arguing that firewire is faster. But the point is that (in the early days) that Apple's patent control over firewire IN ADDITION to the need for much more expensive hardware on the device side, meant that firewire was WAY TOO EXPENSIVE for any device under $200 to implement.

USB filled the gap of cheap peripherals, grabbed market share, and bumped up speeds so that IT CAN be used for high data transfers (even though firewire remains faster, it is NOT an order of magnitude faster, e.g. 5-10x faster). Hence USB wins in 99% of consumer applications = de facto standard.

jocksteeluk says thanks.
  6. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    whoa sweet, and one more thing, i doubt you'll be able to run external grafix cards lol, though usb3 would be powerful, i doubt it can carry the power of 2x 8 pin connections for a 2900xt.

7. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You use either an external psu, or run the ables outside the case ;)

8. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    about the data, wouldn't pcie still be faster then usb?

9. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, the great thing about USB is exactly what you are touching on, it's universal!
    :toast:

10. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, because usb 3.0 will probably be connected to the sb, and that connection to the nb is slower than a pci-e x16 connection. Not to mention I'm pretty sure pci-e can come close to its stated max, unlike usb.

11. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    eSATA (or just sata in general) is a lot newer than 1394 and can't (at least yet) interface with most peripherals (it's not in the same class). Intel and their idiot friends approved a standard that was sub par and dead on arrival (in terms of speed). As usual, intel can't make shit by themselves so they whipped up the 2nd version and pushed it out by sheer force, not caring what the market wanted/needed. I feel that USB 3 won't be much different. It doesn't have anything to do with it being just slower. But slower by such a huge margin that it's pathetic and a pain in the ass to use for more than copying a couple files here and there. Printers, keyboards and regular mice are about the only useful thing I can think of for it. Sure, for ma and pa, IE browsing rednecks, USB is fine. But what if I want to use external drives, cameras, sound/video controllers, etc, that need a lot of bandwidth to function optimally? USB is abysmal. Replace with firewire and everything works great and everyone is happy. I'll pay 10 bucks extra for a MB with 8 FW ports. Saves me the extra cash it costs for a card.

12. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for offering a clear argument, I definitely appreciate what you're saying. I get encredibly frustrated with it myself :banghead:

13. Nemesis881 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is if companies put out good flash drives that won't crap out because of the extreme transfer speed. :laugh:

14. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Those already exist, though they don't perform that well. They're only usable in some exceptional circumstances.

15. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Yes, with pci-e but I'm talking on a USB 3.0 basis.

16. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    so esata was a waste then?

17. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    good, then we can be friends [​IMG]

Oh wait, it says you have an intel CPU [​IMG]

maybe next year [​IMG]