1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

USB 3.0 simple test results on ASUS U3S6 & Kingwin dock

Discussion in 'Storage' started by 95Viper, Apr 16, 2010.

1. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    OK, I am not any great tester or writer, but here are a couple of tests I did when I installed a ASUS Model U3S6 USB 3.0 & SATA 6Gb/s Add-on card in my Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 MB and added a KINGWIN Dockmaster DM-2535U3 2.5" & 3.5" Black USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station.
    But, before I begin, the ASUS card works great, it is NOT a RAID card, so you just get 6Gb/s and USB 3.0. However, for $30USD approx. ; ain't to bad a deal considering a USB 3.0 only card can go for this or more. I have not recieved my 6Gb/s drives so, that is not in this test.

The KINGWIN Dockmaster DM-2535U3 is alright, not great, as, it has a con or two. The drive door sticks, there is no eject button and it does not have eSata. But, I did get a really good deal. A gift to me from a person I helped.

Test one is with a WD5000AACS (green drive, first gen):
    USB 2.0 (hi-speed)
    USB2WD500.jpg
    USB 3.0 (super speed)
    USB3WD500.jpg
    Test two is with a Patriot Warp V2 with a JMicron controller
    USB 2.0 (hi-speed)
    USB2SSD.jpg
    USB 3.0 (super speed)
    USB3SSD.jpg
    As, you can see from the results, there is a boost in the performance using USB 3.0.

:)

EDIT:
    For Sasqui;)

WD5000AACS (green drive, first gen) on SATA III port:
    WD500SATA.jpg

Patriot Warp V2 with a JMicron controller on SATA III port:
    SSDSATA.jpg

Now, remember, even on the SATA III port these are SATA II drives. The SSD seemed to fair better on the USB 3.0 port. The burst speed is something I am going to look into. And, I will be trying a test on the SATA II port, later...
    Guess I need to build a test chassis.:)
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
    Sasqui says thanks.
  2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Nice. How about HD Tach with the drive on a SATA cable for extra comparison?
  3. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Updated and added some tests for SATA III port with the SATA II drives.
    Will, also, be adding tests with Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s; when it arrives.