1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

USB 3 Drive external drive dissapears after reboot

Discussion in 'Storage' started by twicksisted, May 21, 2013.

1. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    I have a problem with my "Hitachi Touro Desk DX3 2TB" USB 3 external hardrive...
    It installs correctly when plugged in at first, but after a shutdown or restart it disappears from windows explorer altogether and I have to unplug and re-plug the USB 3 cable for it to re-appear.
    Also worth noting is that sometimes when I plug this drive into the USB3 ports, my Keyboard or mouse will stop functioning and they also need to be re-plugged to work again.
    I'm assuming that its a driver related issue so I am downloading the latest chipset drivers and reinstalling the Asus USB3 driver from their site (which I am sure I already installed or it wouldn't be working!).
    Failing that the only thing I can think of is that the drive is going into some sort of hibernation/sleep mode and restarting fails to wake it..? Any ideas?

• Hardrive: "Hitachi Touro Desk DX3 2TB"
    • Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro (B3 Revision)
    *please look under my system specs if you need to know anything else

2. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

You may need to upgrade the bios for the motherboard (rev.3.0) which may include better usb3.0 support. For rev.3.1 go here. So if you haven't upgrade the bios for the motherboard you could give it a try and see if it improves your situation with the usb3.0 ports and the external harddrive.

twicksisted says thanks.
  3. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    Yeah its a real pain but whenever try to update with this particular BIOS file it fails the "IMAGE INTEGRITY CHECK"!? I did try to update this a few months back and had the same problems!
    I'm using a USB thumb drive to do the BIOS update... have tried it formatted to FAT32 & NTFS with the BIOS File downloaded straight from ASUS.

EDIT... it appears though even with my motherboard being marked as the P8P67 Pro B3 version, the non-B3 version of the BIOS is the only one that works.

EDIT: BIOS update didn't fix the issue

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  4. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Now it sounds more like a hardware problem, as if there's something wrong with the external hard-drive casing, or at least the s-ata to usb.3.0 controller inside of that usb3.0 casing is malfunctioning, hence it failed to wake up, didn't get to be recognized after a reboot/power down etc. etc.. If you still have warranty on that external drive, make use of it and exchange for a working one. If not, open up that external casing and use the s-ata hard disk (if it's not the hard disk itself is malfunctioning that is) as an internal hard-drive in your computer instead.

5. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received: