1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

USB Headset and Speakers working at the same time

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by fenurch, Apr 16, 2011.

1. fenurch

fenurch

Thanks Received:
    So, I just received my new headset (G35) and it's a USB headset. Previously I had always used a 2-way 3.5mm jack splitter (in 1 end goes headphone jack, in other goes the speaker jack and then the splitter goes into the PC) which meant that I could listen to the same thing either using my speakers or headphones without having to fiddle around with sound settings (a.k.a. change the device where the sound is playing). So, is there any way to do something like this with speakers and a USB headset?

If someone isn't clear what I mean, ask me again but generally people should get the idea.

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    AFAIK, no.

Windows 7 will only allow sound to be output to one devices at a time, and the headphones and the speakers are considered different sound output devices. The speakers are on your primary sound card, and the headphones have their own built in sound card.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. fenurch

fenurch

Thanks Received:
    Wow, that's so fucking retarded.
    Well, anyway, thanks a lot for letting me know.

4. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Actually, a simplier solution might be to just plug the head phones in when needed. Windows 7 is pretty good about automatically picking the new device when it is plugged in. So when you plug the headphones in, it should automatically start using them, and when you unplug them it should automatically go back to using the primary speakers.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU