1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

USB Headsets stop working after 10-30 minutes

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by corehazard, Apr 4, 2013.

1. corehazard New Member

Thanks Received:
    My sound quits after about 10-30 minutes after playing Far Cry 2 and CS:GO for 20-30 minutes. There are no symptoms of any kind before the sound stops working. It works just fine when I exit to windows and relaunch the games. In CS:GO changing the speaker configuration from headphones to 2 speakers or any other configuration fixes the problem, though it recurs anywhere from 10-30 minutes later. In Far Cry 2 which doesn't have any options beyond adjusting volume, I have to relaunch the game and all is well for 20-30 minutes. I'm running a fresh installation of Windows 7 and have tried different USB headsets (Logitech H 390 and Arctic P531) both of which give me the same issue. Can anyone please help me solve this issue?
  2. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    First thing that comes to mind is the audio buffer, but that usually just corrupts the sound. Does this happen just listening to music? Is it specific to games?

Always hated USB headsets, personally.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    It could also be that the computer is set to disable USB to save power. You want to double check her power settings to ensure USB is not disabled as a power saving option.
    corehazard, xvi and sneekypeet say thanks.
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking this as well.
  5. corehazard New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have fixed the problem, by updating my motherboards' BIOS. All the audio dropouts/jittering is now gone. Thanks for the advice
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013