1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Used Softmod to upgrade 9800 SE to 9800 PRO

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Ravan, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Ravan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a 128 MB 9800 SE (Radeon, but duh) and I used softmod to turn it into a 9800 PRO. Well, it worked... sort of.. the framerate went up hugely and that made me a very happy man... but now there's semi-transparent F's and squares that cover the screen.. Anything 3d or 2d or that uses the hardware is covered in these pesky little things.

Picture from inside my game with F's and squares

Anyone know what to do? I really don't wanna go back to being 9800 SE :(
  2. SPHERE New Member

Thanks Received:
    that means you have bad pipes :( does it go away if you underclock? :)
  3. Ravan New Member

Thanks Received:
    How do you suppose I fix bad pipes? It works fine with 4 pipes... why when it hits 8 (radeon 9800 pro), does it fuck up? Are the locked pipes the bad ones?
  4. grazzhoppa New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the locked pipes are broken/bad. It's kind of a 50/50 chance that you have a 9800 se that has all 8 pipes working correctly. It's just the luck of the draw, sorry. You can't do anything to fix the bad pipes.
  5. Ravan New Member

Thanks Received:
    okay, well.. I guess I'll install the original catalyst drivers again, and lock those bad pipes. So to speed things up, maybe I can still overclock the card a little bit? Would that be okay to do? If so, how much would be recommended?