1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Using a 5450 for external displays.

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by sandyman, Feb 14, 2012.

1. sandyman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys!

I had a look around the forum but couldn't seem to find an answer. Sorry if it has been asked already.

I currently have an ATI 5770 and wish to attach a total of 3 screens. I would need a display port adapter to do this, but I can use a DP to VGA active adapter so it will only cost £25ish.

What I would like to know is, would it be more worthwhile to buy an ATI 5450 for the same price and plug in my two VGA external monitors into it. Or will having the two separate cards cause more hassle than its worth?

My thought being that it will reduce the load on my 5770 so that gaming performance is not affected.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

2. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    If nothing really runs on the other screens while gaming you won't notice a thing. (even if, you can disable screens on the fly using Windows+P) The adapter can be bought for under $10, DX for instance.

sandyman says thanks.
  3. sandyman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for that, a big help.

Sorry for my ignorance but is DX a manufacturer of DP to VGA adapters?

4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Dealextreme. A shop in .hk, they sell a lot of crap. No shipping costs. They're quite slow though.

5. sandyman New Member

Thanks Received:
    AH yes I know who mean.

Got a nice cheap active display port to VGA adapter today. It's working a treat, and I feel more productive already!

Thank you for your help.