1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Using a SSD and HD for storage?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by D007, Aug 30, 2012.

1. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Kreij aka "The man" just gave away a 256 gb SSD in a contest I won so I am trying to figure out what I can do here. I have almost 500gb worth of things I'd like to keep..

Can I put the OS on the SSD with like games and stuff. Then use the 1TB HD as some kind of storage drive? I'm not really sure how to go about doing that..
    Anyone mind showing me the way. I have done raid0 before with 2 hd's but I bet this is different XD.

Would I have to boot from each one individually, to have them both accessible?
    Or is there a way I can have the SSD and the HD running at the same time, and accessible at the same time?
    I am totally out of my element XD.. But it should be fun learning..lol.

I'm thinking I'd install the OS on both.. Then programs and games to the ssd and all the other stuff to the 1tb? idk...lol
    Maybe I should just get an external hd or something?
    Any advice would be really appreciated.
    I have to head to bed, so please forgive me if I can't respond tonight.

Thank you. :)
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Put SSD in the machine, load OS.
    Put 1TB in machine, format if needed, assign letter if not already done, add data.

It really is that simple.
    You can easily divert installs of some applications to the 1TB drive as well and allow them to run from there if you happen to load up that SSD.
    D007 says thanks.
  3. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Congrats on winning the ssd. Wasn't that a Vertex 4? That's super fast and you're going to love it. As sneekypeet said, install to ssd, which should take maybe 10 minutes. Then go from there. Keep your programs and some games on the ssd, as you'll appreciate the speed boost and snappiness. Then load your data onto the hdd. You're good to go.

Welcome to beautiful land of ssds! :toast:
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
    D007 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 5 Million points folded for TPU
  4. silapakorn

silapakorn

Thanks Received:
    Having 2 OS on two drives will require you to select either one every time you start up. Doing so kinda negate one of the strongest benefits of having an SSD: quick boot time. I have a plextor 128GB SSD that I use for OS and programs, while I keep all my games and stuff in 1TB hdd. Loading a game off SSD is faster than from HDD but not as fast as loading OS, as you can still see the "now loading" screen from time to time. Therefore I don't waste my SSD space with gigantic games. Just get a fast HDD like WD black and you are good to go.
    D007 says thanks.
  5. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Oh I forgot to add, if not already set, make sure you are in AHCI mode in the bios;)
    AlienIsGOD and D007 say thanks.
  6. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Great info, thank you guys. Yea it's a vertex 4! I was like wooot!
    AHCI mode, will do. ;)

I'm a bit confused now after reading what Silapacorn said.. Using the SDD for my games is a bad idea?
    What else would I want to use an SSD for? lol.. Not like I want to store music on it or movies, I see no benefit from that.
    I'd think games being the most active on storage use, would benefit the most from the ssd. Is that not the case?
    Just want to do this the right way, the best way to run my games.
  7. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Just put what you want on the SSD. Only when it gets full should you need to worry about what goes where, or if you need to shift older games off and newer titles onto the SSD.
    D007 says thanks.
  8. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I usually uninstall games I stop using and store the save files, so that's pretty much what I'd be doing. Yea, I think with 256 gb I could manage that. It's not like it's a 60 or something..

You know.. Maybe just using an external HD would make this easier then.. I mean I could store movies, music and all that on the external 1TB just fine anyway right? I can't forsee any issues but I'm no storage pro.

I could also make a partition on the external for my autocad files I guess.
    I hope I can rename the "F" letter my External has. It would need to be the "P" drive for my Xrefs to be located.
    Is that easy to do?

Then maybe I could just say "screw the 1TB internal" and focus solely on the super schmexy SSD.. :pimp:

If that's the case, I'll be giving away a 1TB internal HD..lol..

PS: I sooo want to break my wallet right now and get another 256 vertex 4 and raid 0 them or something..lol
    Idk if SSD's even raid.. Eesh.. I'm so out of date..
  9. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    if its inside or outside, parted or not, it will all work the same way man. I'm not trying to be rude here, but you really are over thinking this. It is as easy as it sounds.

The OS will set up the SSD (make sure you look at SSD tweak threads for shutting down un-needed things). Then it is just like another HDD, just faster, the rules don't change;)

SSDs do raid, and even have trim support in raid now. Do you need it? Likely that V4 is gonna be plenty fast and you can drop wallet burning cash into something else;)
    D007 says thanks.
  10. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Lol, didn't think you were trying to be rude.. But I appreciate the clarification. I'm just very ignorant about SSD's as I wasn't expecting to get one XD.. I'm kind of impressed the newer tech, integrates so easily with existing tech.. Great to hear. :)
    Thanks again.

:toast:
  11. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    no man, its a fine idea. Lots of ppl put 1 or 2 games on their SSD. I have BF3 on mine and am thinking about putting GW 2 on it too. You just need to remember that you can only have a game or 3 depending on size of game and SSD.
    D007 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    That's why I'm so happy Kreij is awesome and put up a massive 256 gb SSD! woootfish!
    AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  13. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Currently using SSD primarily as OS and 1TB WD Black as steam games drive.
    No waiting around for loading the desktop!

Enjoy your SSD.
    D007 says thanks.
  14. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    D007 says thanks.
  15. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    D007 says thanks.
  16. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Oh wow, thanks guys.. Some great links here. I thought the thread died.. I'll be installing it tonight so I very much appreciate the info..
    I was told to disable some things to make it last longer.. Guess I need to look into that as well..
    :toast:
  17. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    you'll only really need to disable hibernation and indexing, you can also disable system restore if you make regular backups, too. Everything else is fine. Defrag should automatically be disabled.
  18. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the world of SSDs