1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Using AMD Overdrive after Corsair H50 install

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by kciaccio, Jul 24, 2011.

1. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just installed Corsairs H50 water cooling device replacing my stock AMD Athlon II X4 630's fan and heat sink.

With the stock set up I O.C. from 2.8 to 3.2 and my system idled at 54 degrees.

When I installed the H50 I my idle went way down to 35.5 degrees. Awesome difference right from the start.

I then used AMD overdrive auto to do some more overclocking. During the O.C. the CPU temps never went above 48 degrees and the program ran to completion in about an hour.

I was present the whole time and computer never acted up. I am wondering why the program completed successfully at only 3.311 MHz and did not go further?

I had voltage boost check marked to add voltage as needed and CPU temps never got high.

What is limiting the O.C? I am not complaining, getting a 2.8 up to 3.3 is good but just wondering.

Is it because my multiplier reached a 14X max?

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    On a side note on the H50 I did not install it in the recommended way.

I did not do the pull air from radiator into my case,(as recommended in the instructions) that seems retarded to me.

I instead I used two fans in a push and pull out of the case on the radiator. Why would you pull exhaust heat from the radiator back into your case? Makes no sense.

Just like why put your radiator on the bottom of your case and have the heat blown up past your video card and CPU to exhaust the heat? I get the fresh air pulled in from the bottom but still makes no sense to me.

Another fan at the front of my case pulls in fresh air.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Who knows why auto-tuning sets things the way it does. If you want a higher overclock, ditch AMD overdrive and overclock in your bios.
    kciaccio says thanks.
  4. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am building a new computer, waiting for the bulldozer CPU. What brand of motherboard do you recommend that will overclock in bio's the best?
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure your current motherboard has overclocking options in the bios. For a new Bulldozer board, get a Crosshair V.
  6. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would but it is a white and blue themed build, lol.

I know it is stupid to makes choices on hardware based on color but I already started the build and feel that board would look terrible in my white and blue Raven case.

I have not tried O.C. in the bio's it's self before. Should I use the Gigabyte tools to do it?
  7. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    i have that same cpu... i know it can do 3.5ghz. i did so with stock cooling and it wasn't too hot (during the winter). I ran it at that speed for a day. I then set it down to 3.2 just to be on the safe side. with summer here now tho i have it at stock. the H50 should keep it cool

as far as colors... you could always paint slots and such lol (carefully i may add, probably not the best idea tho, jk of course)
  8. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I am seeing almost a 20 degree difference in using the H50, way better than I expected.

Painting crossed my mind but I am to chicken to paint a motherboard and think it would turn out good and forget any chance of a RMA. lol
  9. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    yea, you could cut out a piece of plastic to go over it and paint that (of course don't cover heatsinks and such)

edit: yea i figured that H50 would do an awesome job. been thinking about one myself but my case has 2x80mm in the back so i might just find a 2x80mm rad. i wonder how easy it would be to swap the rads, or if its possible on the H50

edit 2: here's the rad i had in mind http://www.frozencpu.com/products/i...cro_Dual_80mm_Radiator_Black.html?id=fciIyiSK
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  10. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's a sealed system, so it would be a big pain if you ask me. I was told before installing that they had a rep of heat saturation but so far it has gone way beyond my expectations.

I guess the way I have installed it is better than the way most people have in the past. I love looking up and seeing 36 degree CPU temps instead of 54 like I did before.

My system is set up in what I like to call my clofice. I have my office set up in a large walk in closet of my master bedroom. Hardly ideal for keeping things cool. lol
  11. cable

cable

Thanks Received:
    i just got a h50 also put it on my 955 BE o/c'ed it to 3616MHz under full load it is hitting 37 degres
    kciaccio says thanks.
  12. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice. These H50's are working way better than expected. I think it is the way people install them that make the difference.