1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Using Dual gigabit Ethernet ports?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Lionheart, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, just wanted to ask a simple question. What can I use dual gigabit ethernet ports for and are there any benefits using it?:toast:
    cyriene says thanks.
  2. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    UUmmmm anyone home :D
  3. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Even i always wanted to know the answer to that question, because i haven't seen a use for them yet ether.

Someone would know, give it time.
    Lionheart says thanks.
  4. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    You can link them,and share your connection with a second pc,or you could connect a nas to the second one.
    Soylent Joe and Lionheart say thanks.
  5. Bo$$

Bo$$

Thanks Received:
    well im using one and it seems fine man, no need to waste your time and effort to get it working
    Lionheart says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
    There are a number of ways to use 2 Ethernet ports :

Two Network Connections (two subnets)

Will allow your PC to be connected to two networks at the same time.

Balance-rr (Round-Robin)

Transmit packets in sequential order from the first available slave through the last. This mode provides load balancing and fault tolerance.

Active Backup(Fail Over)

Only one slave in the bond is active. A different slave becomes active if, and only if, the active slave fails. The bond’s MAC address is externally visible on only one port (network adapter) to avoid confusing the switch. This mode provides fault tolerance.

Balance XOR

Transmit based on the selected transmit hash policy. The default policy is a simple [(source MAC address XOR’d with destination MAC address) modulo slave count]. Alternate transmit policies maybe selected via the xmit_hash_policy option. This mode provides load balancing and fault tolerance.

Broadcast

Transmits everything on all slave interfaces. This mode provides fault tolerance.

IEEE 802.3ad

Creates aggregation groups that share the same speed and duplex settings. Utilizes all slaves in the active aggregator according to the 802.3ad specification. This mode provides load balancing and fault tolerance but requires a switch that supports IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic Link Aggregation with correct LACP mode configured.

Balance-tlb (Adaptive Transmit Load Balancing)

Channel bonding that does not require any special switch support. The outgoing traffic is distributed according to the current load (computed relative to the speed) on each slave. Incoming traffic is received by the current slave. If the receiving slave fails, another slave takes over the MAC address of the failed receiving slave. This mode provides load balancing and fault tolerance.

Balance-alb (Adaptive Load Balancing)

Include balance-tlb plus receive load balancing (rlb) for IPV4 traffic, and does not require any special switch support. The receive load balancing is achieved by ARP negotiation. The receive load balancing is achieved by ARP Replies sent by the local system on their way out and overwrites the source hardware address with the unique hardware address of one of the slaves in the bond such that different peers use different hardware address for the server. This mode provides load balancing and fault tolerance.
    Soylent Joe, Jizzler and Lionheart say thanks.
  7. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Thanx for having the time to write that in depth description:toast::toast::toast::toast:
    IggSter says thanks.
  8. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Only 2? Weak! 4 is where it's at,

[​IMG]

I even tried 6-way by adding the 2 on-board ports to the quad-port NIC team. But then I had a feeling that I never felt before... I said to myself, "this is too much". And I'm talking about my work network here.

At home not a lot of users would ever know the difference. I have a switch that supports up to two teams, so it's there for the boxes that will support it (I would not go out of my way and buy a NIC). Had a couple old Xeon servers with two ports apiece, but I don't run them any more.
    Lionheart says thanks.
  9. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    The only benefit I can think of is if you constantly transfer a shitton of stuff over your network, but for that to work, the computer you're transfering from has to be running at 2Gb too.
    Lionheart says thanks.
  10. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    thanx for the help guys:toast:
  11. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So not to create a new thread i'll sorta hi jack this one. There is no advantage in using both ports just for your regular PC use right, like it won't give you better bandwidth or anything like that? Heard this the other day and i'm not really into networking so it kinda made me wonder.
    Lionheart says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Unless you have a managed switch (read: expensive) then you get NO benefits, other than should one cable fail, you have a backup connection.

when transferring files through windows, it doesnt split the load between network adaptors - it all goes over the one adaptor (the primary one, whichever that is) - even with two PC's set up and teamed, you only get 1Gb of transfer... cause the OS insnt designed to handle it.
  13. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you kind sir :D for clearing that up
    Crunching for Team TPU