1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

using my spare ram

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by regan1985, Aug 17, 2007.

1. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    for some reason the spare ram i have should work at ddr400 speeds but it doesnt on my dfi mobo so i thought id use it on a old p4 setup i have laying arround, now the ram will only boot if i have my good ram in with it but if i try and boot the spare ram on i just get a long beep which means a ram problem, it happens to both sticks and i have no idea why, why would it work wen mixed but not on its own?

2. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Because the stronger RAM enforces its timings. Put ur good RAM. Set the timings relaxed. Then put the weak ram and see. Try increasing the voltage a bit. Or try on different slots.

3. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats the problem its a oem mobo so i can set the timming , i set it to the lowest and still no luck i also tried both slots

4. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    may be its not compatible.

5. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think that maybe the case, crazy how it didnt like my rdx200 but i was just thinking its because its a fussy mobo, when really its because i have fussy ram, so i now have 2x1gb stick of ram which can run a drr433 spare and no where to use, plus 2xp4 systems that i cant use as i dont have any ram :laugh: looks like im gonna have to put my old 900athlon back together for my downloading machine