1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Using Netgear or similar router/modem as repeater/AP

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by newconroer, Aug 12, 2014.

1. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    I'm stuck using a hotspot for a few days, and I only have one wireless dongle to share amongst three computers - none of which have built in wi-fi.

I do however have a few modem/routers lying around such as a Netgear DG834G. I am hoping to use it as a repeater for the hotspot and simultaneously be a switch for the other computers to share the connection with.

I've been through the Netgear FAQ, though it seems to take a detour at some point away from what I'm trying to do.

So far I've
    -Matched SSDI and keypass the same as the hot spot
    -Put the Netgear on the hotspot's subnet and also changed it's IP accordingly
    -Disabled DHCP
    -Enabled MAC bridging using the remote address(e.g. the hotspot)
    -Rebooted

Unfortunately when I try this, the computer that's still connected to the router (the one I am applying settings with), shows an error on the LAN connection.

I was hoping by making the amendments above, the LAN connection would treat itself as a wireless AP and start searching for local connections.

?

2. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    You have to match the channel and channel width (20 mhz or 40 Mhz). as well.

3. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Might be a problem, cannot determine what channel the hotspot is on.

4. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Use InSSIDer/wifi analyzer for android/pc and check if it has two channels for the SSID it's 40Mhz

Hint: it would be something like 11+7 or something like that.

newconroer says thanks.