1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Using network hard drive for backup

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Decaf, May 15, 2013.

1. Decaf New Member

Thanks Received:
    anyone know how to, or a program that will automatically backup my laptop (windows 8) onto my buffalo hard drive that is connected through my wireless network?

the hard drive is wired directly into the network, and can be accessed from any computer on the network.
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I use a batch with an xcopy command. Primitive, but works.

Technically, any backup program that can save to a //COMPUTERNAME path should work.
    Decaf says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Geekoid New Member

Thanks Received:
    It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortname/back_up.html

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    What Ford said, but use Robocopy instead.;)

If you want an easy to use GUI, check out Fbackup. Besides an easy to use GUI, Fbackup also lets you compress what is being backed up into a zip file, and password protect the zip file if you wish, and a few other nice features.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU