1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

using sound card + onboard audio?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by hat, Jul 26, 2009.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I want to have my heatset plugged in at the same time as my speakers, but my speakers take up 3 jacks and thats all my sound card has. My sound card is an Audigy 2 ZS, and my onboard audio is "Realtek ALC662 6-Channel HD Audio" according to Biostar's website. It has one speaker jack, one headphones jack and one mic jack.

Anyway is there a way I can use my sound card and onboard audio at the same time?

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Not in Vista. You can in XP 32, but it's been so long since I used XP x64, I don't know for sure.

Either way, Install the drivers for both, then just keep fiddling around in the audio control panel to see if you can enable both as a playback device.

hat says thanks.
  3. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    meh, that seems like a really ugly way of doing it...

what if I got a usb headset in conjunction with my speakers?

4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Still have to fiddle around in the control panel either way, as usb headsets use a "usb soundcard", which is just another audio driver.

Personally, on Vista, I just manually switch between my phones and my speakers, by right-clicking on the volume icon and selecting Playback Devices. I just flat got tired of trying to work around it. lol.

5. tong

tong

Thanks Received:
    had the same problem, (kinda) just grab a Y splitter for your front audio and then u can connect your speakers and your headset. Both my headset and my speakers are plugged in all the time, all i do is manually turn the speakers on and off.

5.1 headset, and when my friends came over they all wanted to see what i was gaming... well can't plug in my speakers then can I? So one day i got one of those PSP 14 in 1 accessory pack and boom, there was a Y splitter in there, that's where i got the idea. Comes in handy on the days you don't want to use your headset for a quick min or two.

6. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    If applications support it you can tell them what sound card to use. If they don't they will use the primary sound device. I used to have such a setup for my headset, separate sound from voices and the game itself that way.

7. KH0UJ

KH0UJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    mine i set it to front speaker out (green) for the headset, and rear speaker out (black) for the power amp. I can set the green and black outputs to function as the same channels through the audio I/O setting on asus soundcard driver, mine`s onboard though:laugh:

8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I have a Y splitter but I don't like using it cause it cuts down the volume to the speakers it's hooked into. My headset is 2.0 and my speakers are 5.1 so it makes that one pair of speakers sound underpowered

9. KH0UJ

KH0UJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    you can use your 2 soundcards if you like, but you need to manually set them depending on the application, ex. media player soundcard 1, winamp souncard 2:laugh: the best thing is to hard mod the front headset and make a connector to the back, in that way 2 front speaker on the headset and 5.1 speakers on the power amp and only one soundcard :toast:

option 2: use your T connector and plug a USB mini headset amplifier to your head set, and plug directly the input of your 5.1 speaker system to the other side of the T connector

option 3: use the SPDIF on your soundcard to your 5.1 sp. system assuming your 5.1 has SPDIF input, and use the speaker output to your headset

the choice is yours mate :toast:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  10. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Are you still in XP x64, hat?