• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Valve Allowing Modders to Charge For Mods on Steam.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
why is everyone hating on steam when the greed of the mod makers who decide to get paid for theyr mod or not
Because steam gave all these idiots the idea that they should get paid for a hobby or that they could make a job out being a mod maker.

they could disable modding if they wanted
Actually no they couldn't, in fact they tried to screw over modders from making or changing animations with a patch for skyrim and the modders easily bypassed it.

The gaming community just sucks these days
+1

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Is that even malicious? What actually is a mod and who owns it in this context?

Well yes, it's malicious. Ask any mod-hosting site or any real modder, as well as the legions of mod users. If a mod author gives permission for all or part of their mod to be used in someone else's project, it is their intellectual property, and most simply ask for credit in that person's new mod.

Or they won't allow anyone to use their mod at all other than for gameplay. That's their right, and usually respected. When it is violated, the modding community has always done a good job of banning the offender and ensuring that person is not accepted anywhere in the modding community.

@ChevyOwner what Bethesda is forgetting in their greed is WHY Skyrim passed $1 billion in sales. It's mostly due to the PC crowd still buying an almost 4 year old game, BECAUSE they can make it their own. Mods give a game lots of longevity and continue to drive sales. If people have to pay for mods, it's going to drop the rate of sales drastically.

They are shooting themselves in the foot big-time if this is the model they use with new games. Remember, Skyrim is the test case.

Last edited:
@ChevyOwner what Bethesda is forgetting in their greed is WHY Skyrim passed $1 billion in sales. It's mostly due to the PC crowd still buying an almost 4 year old game, BECAUSE they can make it their own. Mods give a game lots of longevity and continue to drive sales. If people have to pay for mods, it's going to drop the rate of sales drastically.

They are shooting themselves in the foot big-time if this is the model they use with new games. Remember, Skyrim is the test case.

You don't need to tell me. That is exactly what I was trying to say just using different words.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
You don't need to tell me. That is exactly what I was trying to say just using different words.

I was just reinforcing your words, because I feel strongly about it. :)

System Name Grand Aniki
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard AsRock B450m Pro4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory GSkill FlareX 16 GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus DUAL RX 480 8 GB
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1 TB, WD Blue 3 TB, Kingston HyperX Savage 240 GB
Display(s) Dell U2515H & Zowie XL2411P
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DGX
Power Supply Cooler Master V750 SM
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cooler master Masterkeys Pro M

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Looks like some of the mods aren't as finished and good as they say
http://imgur.com/gallery/bqcla
Yep, this is the problem with the paid mod system. Do hasty work, cash in, and don't update. There's no incentive, bc there is no love for the game.

Falskaar is a year's worth of work, that the owner has pledged to keep free. I have no problem donating to him as a donation on the Nexus though. Donations are voluntary, and the mod owners feel appreciated for volunteering their love for the game.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Someone mentioned a donate button on Steam, and that is a good idea.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Someone mentioned a donate button on Steam, and that is a good idea.

If they change to the same policy as The Nexus, and make it a donation only, that would be fine, but greedy Bethesda isn't going to allow it. In fact, they are likely to take a cut still even if they did change it (which they won't).

On the Nexus, the owner's policy is mods will remain free, but they have instituted a "donate" button if someone is appreciative enough of the quality to do so. The entire amount of the donation goes to the mod author.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Gabe Newell responds to the questions about their new modding policy.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/valve...ng-policy-our-goal-is-to-make-modding-better/

It looks like it's here to stay at least for a while.

Reading alot of the background on this from the owner of The Nexus, it appears the impetus for this came from Bethesda, so I hold them mostly to blame.

And there's another side of this too. Some paid modder might feel really grateful for a site that has benefited him/her greatly, such as the SKSE folks at Silverlock, or The Nexus. He/She has the option to donate some of the pay to that site. That cut comes out of Valve's cut, not Bethesda's. Sounds alot like Bethesda is driving the train and Valve has no choice but to make the best of it.

Last edited:

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
Just gonna leave this here so those defending the issue can see what they are actually defending.

http://imgur.com/gallery/bqcla

NVM rtwjunkie beat me to it.

Last edited:
I can't defend either Bethesda or Valve on this one, but I am surprised that EA didn't do it first...........drum roll please.....

Bethesda is getting pretty crappy. I'm sure that their motivation here is 100% financial. They're looking at a game released 4 years ago, that still sells substantially, suddenly bringing in more money without any input effort from them. On the other end, all of that sweet money comes with a plethora of work that Bethesda can use in the future, to the point where they might actually release a stable game on a decade old engine. If I wasn't ready to spit bile at that, the huge section of the total mod cost going to Bethesda is just villainous. Almost half of the cost of a mod goes to the developer, who does no work. Give me a break.

Valve is not taking nearly as much heat here as they should be. If EA were to do this crap people would bemoan it in the streets (then forget about it during the next EA release). I'm thinking that the TF2 hats idea was how Bethesda saw this, and they wanted some of that sweet money. They, of course, failed to follow in Valve's foot steps with making the game free first.

To all those who might defend Bethesda;
1) Modders deserve money - They do if they ask for it. They don't deserve $0.30 on the dollar though. The Nexus allowed people to donate money for mods quite a while ago, and it was a way for the community to support itself.
2) But the developers did the hard work of making the game - Really? Have you ever played Fallout 3? About half a dozen community mods made it stable, and Bethesda even aped code from them to stabilize that pile of bugs.
3) But it's convenient - No more so than the mod manager already available free on the Nexus. It even does load order better, so why a paid product functions worse is beyond me.
4) But paid content is better - Have you ever played DOTA? That was a free mod. What about DayZ? These, and many other things, were freely made by the community. All the while, Valve made us pay for hats in TF2.
5) But paid content has better QC - I'm not even going to dignify that with a scoff. The recent flood of Greenlight twaddle can speak for itself.
6) Valve stands for quality - Ha! Valve stopped giving a crap when Steam started eclipsing earning from their two biggest game releases. The beneficence of Gaben is dead, unless there's money in it.
7) But you don't need any of these mods to play the game - Again, really? You don't need a spoon to enjoy pudding, but without it you make an ugly mess that serves to lessen the act of enjoying it. Mods made the issues with Skyrim tolerable.
8) Valve offers a unique distribution platform - Nope. Origin, GoG, and a bunch of other platforms exist. There is part of me looking forward to the day Valve face-palms hard enough to lodge their wrist into their brain, and one of the more awesome platforms get to shine.
9) Modders will be getting the money - Nope. Overlooking the 75% drop, it's still more profitable to butcher three mods together, claim it as your original work, and wait the months that it will take (if ever) Valve to discover your deception. In the mean time there is no reason you won't make bank. Neither Valve nor Bethesda is inclined to ferret out this deception, as it earns them money.

Assuming all my other arguments are moot, consider this; who stand to benefit from paid mods the most? It isn't modders. It isn't Valve (you can have a portion of their cut redirected). If you were in the same position, and could print money with impunity, wouldn't you view any corruption as "minor?" Wouldn't you take the money, blame the dishonesty on the people doing it, and claim that you were just trying to offer the community a way to be compensated for their work. This is an act of true evil genius. Bethesda can't lose, because they have no skin in the game. They either make money for no work, or blame individuals for taking advantage of a flawed system. The left hand washes the right indeed.

This whole thing is ridiculous. The modders are the ones who are putting their mods behind the "paywall" not Valve, not Bethesda. If anyone should get any flak for a poor mod, it should be the author of the mod. This whole argument is stupid. If you're going to rage, at least rage at the right people.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
But only because it's a situation created by Bethesda, with the aquiescence of their lackeys at Valve. Without it, we still have a fun, community policed modding environment genuinely trying to better the game.

You still have that though. Nothing changed other than the mentality of the modders. Valve and Bethesda simply gave them a simple way to monetize.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
You still have that though. Nothing changed other than the mentality of the modders. Valve and Bethesda simply gave them a simple way to monetize.

To some extent, with the free modders, yes, most of whom have loudly proclaimed their mods will remain free....and that mostly consists of the well-known, good modders. But there is now a great deal of suspicion and mistrust, which has already been fostered by some unethical people charging for crap, and others offering products that weren't theirs to begin with.

To some extent, with the free modders, yes, most of whom have loudly proclaimed their mods will remain free....and that mostly consists of the well-known, good modders. But there is now a great deal of suspicion and mistrust, which has already been fostered by some unethical people charging for crap, and others offering products that weren't theirs to begin with.
Again, the fault of the modders. No site or service forces anyone to do anything.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
"Guilt by association. "

The best modders, the ones that are really doing it for the love of the Mod, or the Game, or the Challenge, They're not charging. They've already got a donation option, and this might prompt them to "prod" their "clientele" a little, but otherwise they're not changing. But what it does do to them, is gives them a taint. They are one of "those modders" now.

And yes, I blame Bethesda and Valve for this, with a side of greed from the lower tier of the modding group. But without Bethesda and Valve providing a method for the greedy ones to start muddying up the Mod Pool, we'd still be stirring the pool to get a good look at the treasures in there. Now? Now too many people don't see the treasures. They see the mud, and the kids on the side throwing it in. And behind them? Ma Beth and Pa Valve with a water hose and some dirt. Sure, the kids don't have to throw the mud in the pool. But how many kids do you know that don't like to play with the mud every now and then, especially Timmy over there is obviously having so much fun....

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
This video was bound to happen sooner or later :D
I liked the simile about taking a piece of taxi driver's earnings because they made the car.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
This video was bound to happen sooner or later :D
I liked the simile about taking a piece of taxi driver's earnings because they made the car.

Hilarious!

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
What a farce, one minute Gabes defending the policy and next they are like oh us and Bethesda didn't like the policy.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Ding Dong, the Witch is dead!!

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I cant wait for this entire system to fall on its face. I think paying is stupid for mods. most modders do it for free because of their own ideals. I will never pay for a mod, I will never support a modder charging. and I have no sympathy for the news stories flying around of chumps who are releasing mods using other peoples assets and getting eaten alive by the internet and the modding community for doing so. I hope they lose 100% of their face.

glad we avoided a whole year of stupid in 2015

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard B450
Cooling Scythe Ashura
Memory Team Dark Z 3200 8GB x2
Video Card(s) MSI 390
Storage WD 2TB + WD Green 640GB
Display(s) Samsung 40JU6600 @ 200% scaling
Case Coolermaster CM 690 II
Audio Device(s) Fiio E10K, Graham Slee Solo II SRG, Sennheiser HD6XX, AKG K7XX, ATH WS1100is
Power Supply Corsair HX650
Mouse Rival 700
Keyboard Corsair K70, Razer Tarantula
Thanks God!

Money is not what I'm worried about, the dividing community is the real doom.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.