1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Valve promising three 'surprises' within next 12 months

Discussion in 'Games' started by CDdude55, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    yeah Left 4 Dead 3 with all remaining survivors playable at once

2. Dazzeerr

Dazzeerr New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, because that would be boring.

Half-Life 3 in 3D
    Some kind of RTS game
    Steam on 360, PS3 and multi-platform gaming.

3. Exeodus

Exeodus

Thanks Received:
    I just want to know where Episode 3 is.

4. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Immediately following the new Source engine.

Exeodus says thanks.
  5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Says you. I could give a crap less about console development or 3D. I want a new source engine that CAN'T BE RUN ON CONSOLES. Oh and Ep.3 along with new L4D content. Maybe even a new........(gasp).....Counter Strike?

6. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do think one of the surprises is a new CS. In fact, the last update to CS:S is probably a way to "alpha test" some of the non-gameplay related features, a way to get feedback from the new scoreboard system, achievements, etc.

And a new engine MUST be one of the surprises*. Almost 8 years since Source was first shown is a lot of time. And 6 years since it actually released, not counting the fact that HL2 was released a little bit later than first scheduled, so the engine was already "phased out", by id tech 4 and Cryengine and just a bit later Monolith's latest Lithtech (FEAR).

It's about damn time for a new engine.

* On the other hand that does not count as a surprise tbh: "Ey guys, I bet you thought we would be developing games based on Source until 2050... Surprise! We aren't." Doesn't make a lot of sense.

7. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i bet only 1 of the 3 announcements will be a surprise to gamers. the word surprise in this instance is used to build hype. think about how Apple does it. before the launch of the ipod nano most people pretty much knew what they were going to annouce because people read the blogs and did a little research. same with the iphone and now the ipad. none of these are surprises but rather logical conclusions. so don't be disappointed when you are not surprised by the announcements.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess that I need to be surprised, tbh. I don't remember the last time that I was pleasantly surprised, but maybe was in 2005-2006. Tbh I have not seen anything original since around 2004-2005 and after that the only thing that I used to expect from newer games was improved tech, mostly graphics. I can say that my only expectations lied there until late 2008 when it became clear to me that Crysis would probably remain the best looking game until the next gen consoles are released.

So if nothing else, I want a new Source engine that trully takes advantage of the hardware released in the last 3 years, an engine that trully stands pout from the rest, like the ones we were used to get in the past (Quake's, Unreals, Source...). Valve is the best positioned developer for that task, since they have a huge PC user base and because they must have tons of money (48% of games sold last year were digital DL and Steam is said to represent 70% of digital DL, so do the math, they might be richer than EA, Ubi or even Activision by now, go figure).

9. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    right, so if this were one of the announcements then it would not be a "surprise."

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Valve

Is releasing a new console just for steam that's number 1
    The Console can take PC DVDs That's number 2
    HL3 will be released with the console That's number 3

11. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    a console for steam would be a PC :laugh: