1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Valve to Deliver Steam and Source on Mac

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Mar 8, 2010.

1. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

Hey man go to this directory

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common ( assuming your on a 64bit os)

Then go into one of your game folders :toast:

Steam games function just like all other PC games, so I'm fairly sure steam will have to make separate steam client/steam games for Macs.

But as I said I've not used one in years and years and have no idea what sort of file types they can handle these days.

So could be completely wrong :laugh:
    TheLaughingMan says thanks.
  2. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    now they can download solitare HAH!!
  3. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mac graphic cards have already become MUCH cheaper over the past 2 years or so than they used to be. I remember when the HD 3870 Mac Edition came out it was about the same price as the PC version.
  4. Jansku07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No problems. I've got HD3650 (basically the same card with smaller node) and the game is very playable. Mind you, I don't know how the Mac-version performs.
  5. devguy

devguy

Thanks Received:
    Don't count out OpenGL so much. First of all, the when developing games for the PS3, developers don't use DirectX. I think the PS3 has an API of PSGL which is a customized OpenGLES API. Either way, a lot of games are being developed without DirectX support.

Second, the Unigine engine has been written in OpenGL with all the same effects for Linux (I'm assuming MacOSx eventually). Unfortunately, it still hasn't been released due to 1) a current lack of tessellating hardware from nVidia, and 2) a lack of good tessellating support Linux drivers from AMD. However, that means that Unigine games have the potential for release also on non-Microsoft operating systems!

In the MacOSx graphics market, the best of the beAst gpu is currently the Radeon HD 4870 (not sure if there's a 1GB model, only 512mb I think). From what I understand, even with Apple's ATI drivers, it handles Modern Warefare 1 really well (I think the most intensive Mac game). Perhaps if Valve does well on Steam with OSx, we will see a release of Modern Warefare 2 on the Mac as well.
  6. Initialised

Thanks Received:
    The two biggest and most successful app stores in the known universe combine. What a portal into the gaming world this is going to be, hopefully it will have Sony and MS's offerings left for dead and offer a counter strike to those who argue that PC gaming is dying.

Seriously though are we going to be tied into one PC like with iPods?
  7. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

Only true if you use apple software XD
  8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    This is gonna be a lot of work for them. The Source games are all based on DirectX. They're going to have to convert it to OpenGL.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. devguy

devguy

Thanks Received:
    I think that partially already happened. I mean, how do you think the Orange Box was running on the PS3? It probably isn't as much work to convert from PSGL to OpenGl as from DirectX to OpenGl.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  10. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    source engine runs on both opengl and directx actually.. you can start source games with a -gl command line to run game in opengl mode.
  11. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    DirectX would probably be easier. PS3 has limited RAM and proprietary CPU code which would be a PITA to replace on Mac.

You sure that works? Most tend to think it was an experimental command they forgot to remove. Ehm, the command is there but there is currently no code behind it.

Sounds like they are copying the source and converting the copy to OpenGL for Mac and they will continue to use DirectX for Windows.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i can see comparisons between a $5K mac with a radeon 2600XT being compared to an intel system with GMA 950, and mac fans telling me how much faster the mac is than PC.
  13. idx

Thanks Received:
    Both ps3 and xbox360 are using DirectX 9 GPU , xbox360 added some DX10 Features, PS3 RSX gpu is using PSGL (OpenGL 1.1 + Nvidia Cg) Nvidia Cg mainly built on DirectX lib's ,and like 90% of the games on ps3 are running on DirectX 9 not OpenGL.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  14. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Does this mean I can own Mac users using their one-button mice and chiclet keyboards on L4D2?
  15. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    yes.

CS kiddies: OMFG HAX YOU SUCKZOR WTF GAY

Xbox live: $%^&IO$&**^%^&^*$^& (its all swearing and gay jokes)

Mac users: "dont shoot the poor rabies victims! they deserve LOVE!" "how do i melee? i have no 'right click'? "
    ToTTenTranz and erocker say thanks.
  16. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    @Mac user: get a !*$&@#% proper mouse
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. idx

Thanks Received:
    Lets make it clear , even if they made a full customized copies of Steam games for Mac they have no chance to get a full gaming experience on Mac computers, none of Mac games will get even close to the PC level, mainly because:

1- Mac hardware is really weak in terms of performance (apple is only thinking about money when they built it) and this is an epic fail for mac users.

2-games on mac will use OpenGL, and OpenGL at this time is really embarrassing even for Khronos Group itself , at this time OpenGL is really nothing compared to directX11 and there is no way that Mac games can get the same graphics lvl and effects that PC games has not even close to it, even if the hardware can handle it.
  18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    as a total mac hater, i must say the following anyway.

1. only their video cards are weak. they use intel core 2 based systems nowadays.

2. no valve game uses DX11 - hell, none even use DX10 yet.
  19. idx

Thanks Received:
    No offense but you really have no idea about what you are talking about most of the big titles on Steam are DirectX games + most of the upcoming games on Steam are DirectX 11 , ofc there are some hybrid games that can work on both (directX or OpenGL) but it only go for OpenGL if the hardware doesn't support DirectX or if you chose that , here is some of the biggest Steam titles :

Lost Planet: Extreme Condition -DirectX 9.0
    Bioshock 2 -DirectX 9.0
    The Orange Box -DirectX 9.0
    Left 4 Dead 2 -DirectX 9.0
    Team Fortress -DirectX 9.0
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 -DirectX 9.0

-some DirectX10 and 11 games:

Assassin's Creed II -DirectX 10.1
    Mass Effect 2-DirectX 10
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat -DirectX11
    DiRT 2 -DirectX 11
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 -DirectX 11

ofc some of these games will run on OpenGL and older DX versions but this will be at the cost of image quality, and FYI there are many other DirectX 11 games coming soon for Steam including new versions of some current DirectX9 titles with DX11 support.

*source Steam website.
  20. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:

Yeah but Valve can't keep using DX9 for all eternity.
    As soon as true DX11 engines start coming out and the next-gen consoles are announced, they'll have to update Source.
  21. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

"no offence" but you clearly can't read.

Mussels said "2. no valve game uses DX11 - hell, none even use DX10 yet. "

This does not mean they do not use Direct X it means they use direct x 9.

*thumbs up*
  22. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Considering it's been years since Apple has used the 1 button fail mouse, I think your joke is also a little fail (and a little stale anyway).

They aren't porting third party titles, they are only porting Source titles so far. The third parties can port if they want to, but I don't know if any have officially announced support.

And I thought they added OpenGL to Source as well.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  23. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    That's called a Hackintosh. :D
  24. devguy

devguy

Thanks Received:
    Bioshock and Call of Duty Modern Warefare are already running natively on the Mac. It would probably take little effort to port their sequels. Valve is already hard at work to release the Source Engine (and supporting games) for Mac (Half-Life/Counter Strike/Team Fortress/etc). And from what I've read, Bad Company 2 might also be headed to Mac.

Now, if we could just move past the crappy Mac deal and get onto Linux, then we are talking! Although, like everything: one little baby step at a time!
  25. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I've been trying to get that to work for ages.