1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Valve's first hardware beta starting by next year

Discussion in 'Games' started by natr0n, Sep 19, 2012.

1. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

When asked what the team’s immediate goals are, she obliquely states, “To make Steam games more fun to play in your living room.” That’s the team’s one-year goal, at least. The challenge is making games that require a mouse and keyboard palatable to people who are used to a controller, or to people who just don’t want to migrate PC controls to the comfort of their living room. Working in tandem with Steam’s newly beta’d “Big Picture Mode,” Ellsworth’s team is creating a hardware solution to the control barriers found in many Steam games.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/valve-hardware-jeri-ellsworth/
    mediasorcerer says thanks.
  2. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Uhm, they ever heard of xpadder, pinnacle profiler, etc? I emulate M&K all the time on my controller..
    Can be done in reverse with existing software/hardware.
    Good move though on valves part.. Once you have momentum, keep it..
  3. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I for one think that the "Big Picture Mode" itself implemented in the Steam platform is a good idea. However, if they decide to compete with the likes of Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony by becoming another player in the console race, I can only see it hurting the evolution of PC gaming. Steam is the biggest PC gaming platform the industry has ever since it began moving away from physical disks and integrating more with digital distribution. I just think they should stick with the Big Picture Mode and leave it at that. Please Valve, do not jump in with these sharks, you'll eventually become one too. The only thing I can correlate with in regards to PC gaming is the word Steam. Same with Nintendo, people correlate the name with console video games.
  4. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Meh ... Instead of making existing games more fun to play in the living room, how about they start making new games that are more fun to play, period.

Just my 2¢
  5. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Although I cringe at the thought of them trusting a former hacker to run their hardware team (esp considering one having stolen the code to HL2 is why Steam exists) and saying nothing is off the table regarding controller support, I have to admit it makes me wonder if they'll be the ones that FINALLY improve the tired old gamepad design so that those of us whom HATE aiming with a slow and clumsy mini toggle can actually USE one.

Then again, the reverse worse case scenario could happen, Valve ending up catering more to console type controls than KB/M.
  6. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    In other news, Valve vows to never mention, develop or release Half Life 3.
    freaksavior says thanks.
  7. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I have been feeling that for a long time, the prettier these games get the more alot of developers become more lax on making fun games period, I am finding myself more and more enjoying indie cheap 10 dollar games more than the ones from the others.
    mediasorcerer says thanks.
  8. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Just a BS excuse to do this...
  9. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Making a game fun to play in the livingroom opens up a HUGE selection of games for those people who want to play with their girlfriends. Why spend money on crappy new console games when there are more unique, better thought out games already created.

As to making games that are more fun to play, well, that is an opinion thing. I'd argue there are quite a few good ones out there right now.
  10. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Why is Big Picture Mode so interesting? Because Valve is at the cusp of possibily becoming one of the biggest content providers on the planet.

Steam already has the infrastructure to distribute any and all forms of content. All of their trailers and movies are available to be streamed or downloaded through Steam. Many game soundtracks are available to purchase and download through Steam. A vast amount of modern games are console ports which have native support of Microsoft's Xbox 360 controller. Pretty soon Steam may be a one stop shop for all of your entertainment needs, AND once the kinks are worked out, you'll be able to control it all though an off the shelf Xbox 360 controller.

And you can use it all with a custom built machine made up of spare parts laying around the house, or you can spend money to build a computer specifically for that purpose.
  11. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Your correct for the most part. I think that the numbers are dropping yearly! Not to mention the fact that many of today's PC games are console ported. Granted, the console gaming industry is huge, however there should be a strong concentration on the PC gaming market as well. It just seems that every year there are more poor PC games released and advertised than there are "fun" PC games. It seems the "fun" games are getting less and less each year.

Opinion? Probably, but I am sure if one takes a look at statistics it would probably show this to be true.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  12. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Would be cool to have a custom pc with a steam os for tv use. Dual boot of course.
  13. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Again, "fun" is a subjective term. I have a friend who absolutely LOVES to play Sword of the Stars 2. He talks about it constantly. When he asks to play my answer is always 'no' - because that game is absolutely terrible. But not to him!

I'd argue that there are a higher number of games, and more money being spent on creating games this year than ever before. Quick think back a decade, year 2001 - what good PC games came out that year? The top games were:
    The Sims
    Roller Coaster Tycoon
    Diablo 2 expansion pack
    followed by three more sims expansions, diablo 2 the game and age of empires
    I'll add a few more:
    Black and White
    Civ 3
    Dark age of Camelot
    and there were a few good console games like Devil may cry and FFX

What have we had this year?
    The darkness 2
    Kingdoms of amalur
    michael jackson: the experience! :roll::banghead:
    mass effect 3
    the walking dead
    deus ex
    diablo 3
    civ5 expac
    orcs must die 2
    guild wars 2
    borderlands 2
    torchlight 2
    more Wow crap
    resident evil 6
    michael jackson: the experience for MAC :D
    and about 50 other games that are sequels/continuations of older games.

Say what you will, but gaming is much better than it was a decade ago. Sure some of us may never be able to capture that nostalgic moment from our childhood where all the stars lined up right and games were perfect. But that's our own fault for growing old and becoming adults.

And the list doesn't include all the games from the last few years that were triple-a titles being sold for $5 on steam. I know a lot of those games were new to me, so semantically they could be included in this year's releases. ;P That is what Steam is trying to do for the rest of the non-kb/m users.
  14. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its better in one way, however, i feel theres a bit of a degeneration in the quality of story telling in some recent games.

They have become what i may loosely describe as-"generic"?

Also the difficulty seems easier than it was, what used to take possibly days now takes 5-7 hours to complete [im looking at you cod and bf3].

Im going back searching for old titles now too, as well as knew.
    I wish starbreeze would make a sequel to chronicles of riddick, thats one of my all time favs!!
    I think the russian games devs are doing some great stuff atm.