1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Valve's Gabe Newell Talks Linux Steam Client, Source Engine

Discussion in 'Games' started by AphexDreamer, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I am still struck by just how interested Valve is in Linux as a platform; it is certainly beyond my original expectations. This Linux work just is not some half-assed attempt by them to make it look like they are a Linux-friendly organization. Gabe's vision to support, embrace, and promote Linux are amazing, assuming they execute, which looks to be very high probability at this point.

Right now the game they have been working on the most for their Linux client is Left 4 Dead 2. Why L4D2? Basically because it is a stable code-base to do for their initial porting. They have plans to bring their other titles to Linux as well as lobby other game developers using Steam and the Source Engine to bring their games to Linux -- natively. They are not using the Wine library or anything in terms of their native Linux Steam/Source engine work.

http://www.phoronix.com

Uh could this mean L4D2 on linux based phones? Assuming they are powerful enough?
  2. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    this is good news, I hope we can play with linux users.
  3. Relinquish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Now this may encourage Microsoft to do more with their PC platform and not focus the majority of their energy on Xbox.
  4. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    There's a news post about this already, but that's interesting that Gabe Newell dislikes Windows 8.
  5. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received: