• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VBE7 - vBIOS Editor for Radeon HD 7000 series cards

System Name H2o Box
Processor Intel(R) Xeon e5-2690 v2 Stock 3.300 GHz stock
Motherboard MSI X79A-G43 Plus (MS-7760) v3
Cooling CPU EK & Phobya G-Changer 360 V2.0 RAD H2o VGA "AlphaCool M18" Hybrid [pump replaced 18/8/21]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 16Gb 11-12-12-32 2T @ 1866Mhz [locked]
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1080ti AMP EXTREME
Storage HyperX Fury 120GB & Savage 480GB SSD, Seagate 250GB,250GB 7200rpm Kingston 64GB SSD
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG32VQR 2560*1440 165Hz VA Panel
Case Corsair O-800D
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Be Quiet! [Dark Power Pro 11] 1200W CM replaced [7-4-2017]
Mouse Zelotes T-90
Keyboard K66 Mechanical US Layout
Software Win 10 Pro 64Bit v 20H2 / OS [build 19043.1237] WFEP 120.2212.3530.0
Hi

Now to my problem. I have a gigabyte hd 7990 xt2. I am able to flash one GPU to 1.050 vddc with 950Mhz, but how can i access the second GPU with the vbe7

What application was used to make the backup of the GPU Master vbios image that has been modified?

atb

Law-II

Last edited:
System Name H2o Box
Processor Intel(R) Xeon e5-2690 v2 Stock 3.300 GHz stock
Motherboard MSI X79A-G43 Plus (MS-7760) v3
Cooling CPU EK & Phobya G-Changer 360 V2.0 RAD H2o VGA "AlphaCool M18" Hybrid [pump replaced 18/8/21]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 16Gb 11-12-12-32 2T @ 1866Mhz [locked]
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1080ti AMP EXTREME
Storage HyperX Fury 120GB & Savage 480GB SSD, Seagate 250GB,250GB 7200rpm Kingston 64GB SSD
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG32VQR 2560*1440 165Hz VA Panel
Case Corsair O-800D
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Be Quiet! [Dark Power Pro 11] 1200W CM replaced [7-4-2017]
Mouse Zelotes T-90
Keyboard K66 Mechanical US Layout
Software Win 10 Pro 64Bit v 20H2 / OS [build 19043.1237] WFEP 120.2212.3530.0
Hi

i use GPU-Z
Open GPU-Z
- Note: when it opens *should default to the master core/bios save this to file; see example [name file MaltaM.rom] M=Master
-Then use the flip down menu in the bottom left hand corner to switch to the slave core/bios and repeat the process; save to file; name file MaltaS.rom] S=Slave

Example
Master and Slave Example.jpg

This example is for a HD5970 may have to Double check at a DOS prompt position of Master and Slave vbios image on the 7990

atb

Law-II

Last edited:
ok wow...so after i read that Asus released a brand new version of GPU Tweak specifically with these new R9 280x cards, i just installed it (version 2.4.9.2)

Holly crap, its giving me full control I am scared lol :eek:

Adjustable Settings and my current clocks:
  • GPU Clock (MHz) - 1155MHz
  • GPU Voltage (mV) - 1275mV
  • VDDCI (mV) - 875mV
  • Memory Clock (MHz) - 1600 (6400MHz)
  • Memory Voltage (mV) - 1520mV
  • Power Target (TDP) (%) - 120% (300W)
  • Fan Speed - Custom

Anyone else try and mess with their VDDCI or Memory Voltage? Also, still no clue how to monitor VRM Temps on this card hehe.....Any tips on these would be much appreciated.

What are the odds i blow my card away by messing with these hahah? :nutkick:

For those who haven't followed my parade of posts, I have the Asus HD 7970 DirectCU II which i flashed with the Asus R9 280X Matrix Platinum BIOS!

I uploaded the R9 280X BIOS that i used to flash my card. There are two version theres, the stock version i got online, plus the modded version i edited via VBE7 (280x_Mod.rom) Marjamar I think you might as well try this BIOS and see how it goes. Also, download the GPU Tweak i referenced, looks like there are many more controls there....it even allows you to "Burn" settings into the card...i am assuming by flashing the BIOS on the fly.

Also, the GPU Tweak monitor is reporting real-time GPU voltage, mem voltage, vddci voltage, even pcie12v voltage! When i play with the GPU Voltage, it seems to be reflected in the monitor once i start benchmarking. I notice a bit of vdroop also btw...
Got my card back a couple weeks ago. Been doing updates while I was waiting on it. Redid the loop adding a second rad, fans, aquacomputer, waterblock on the mosfets/vrm's, sensors, and have more yet to do. I check the rma'd card out, and it seems to be working OK. Decided to put the waterblock back on it and do some more bios updates/overclocks. So, just d/l'ed you link and flashed the stock one. It seems to be elevating my VDDC now. I'm not sure yet, but I am seeing voltage there at 1.25 which I believe is higher then I've ever seen. If this is the case, I am going to be a happy camper!!! On the loop, I max out temps at less then 40c, so I will have alot of headroom to play with if I have the volts to push temps up. Anyways, you got anoter thanks from me.

-Rodger

obsidian009

Anyone pls?!

Not sure about the 7970, but I have been trying to undervolt some Gigabyte R9 280x using VBE7.0.0.7b, unsuccessful so far. VRM shows unknown like yours...I think this can happen on voltage locked cards. Everything looks like it works, but the card keeps running at 1.2V under load...idle 0.85V.

mccnow

Not sure about the 7970, but I have been trying to undervolt some Gigabyte R9 280x using VBE7.0.0.7b, unsuccessful so far. VRM shows unknown like yours...I think this can happen on voltage locked cards. Everything looks like it works, but the card keeps running at 1.2V under load...idle 0.85V.

Hi obsidian009...
Here only appears the same voltage. And in VBE only select voltage from a predefined table. I dont know what to do.

obsidian009

Hi obsidian009...
Here only appears the same voltage. And in VBE only select voltage from a predefined table. I dont know what to do.

That's how mine is too -- in VBE instead of typing in the value for VDDC, you have a drop down menu to select from some predefined numbers. I tried 1019 and it didn't work on 3 different cards.

mccnow

That's how mine is too -- in VBE instead of typing in the value for VDDC, you have a drop down menu to select from some predefined numbers. I tried 1019 and it didn't work on 3 different cards.

To achieve a higher overclock on my GPU, need to set a higher than 1.175v VDDC. But also can not manually enter.

Sorry for the english (google translate).

neklec

Hello people!
darkhmz,
Whether I by means of VBE7 can edit vbios 7970m?
Somebody tried to do it?
Whether is an opportunity that I will have a card brick?
Thanks.

dvalinx

Will VBE7 support 290 soon?

I just tried to undervolt my XFX 290 but could not open the BIOS file, it just says "not supported".

padrino

Will VBE7 support 290 soon?

I just tried to undervolt my XFX 290 but could not open the BIOS file, it just says "not supported".

Trying to do the same, spent a few hours today looking around and can't find any solutions allowing me to edit an R9 290 BIOS. Still hoping VBE7 or another solution will knock it out at some point soon...

mimoto12

One question a new player. Where are collected by the program? I can not find it anywhere.

THX.

johnny66

Hello to all who are enjoying this great graphics card mod tool!

I know in most cases we are trying to get the maximum out of our new (or old) technology that's why we are here. Heck, I've been over-clocking since I got my 1st PC back in 1992 which was a 486 DX-50! But sometimes in circumstances out of your control, you need to go the other way. By that I mean under-volting and under-clocking. Summer has just hit here in Australia and I live in a house with no air conditioning so I like to drop the temps on my graphics card and CPU accordingly.

In February of this year I bought the Gigabyte HD 7850 to replace my SLi 460 GTX 768 mb setup. Apart from having nearly 3 times more ram, the single card only had about 80% the performance of the SLi setup. According to the numerous benchmarks I researched, I thought it would be on par but I was wrong. Three months later I purchased another HD 7850, this time it was from HIS as the Gigabyte was out of stock! Now the Xfire setup definitely kicks the old SLi setup I was previously running!

But I digress, with an ambient room temp of 35-40 celsius, I like to keep my cards below 65 C (I know low 70s are still fine). The Gigabyte 7850 core voltage wouldn't go lower than 1.075 Volts and the HIS 7850 wouldn't go lower than 1.210 Volts! I could go as high as 1.225 Volts on both cards no problems though. Through the use of VBE7, I was able to set the boot-up clocks and VDDC and 3D clocks which gave me full control of tweaking the way I like!

What I did: Set boot-up and 3D clocks to 600 as default
Set boot-up and 3D VDDC to 0.850 Volts as default - That's it!

I then used AfterBurner to tweak, and Furmark to test for 3 minutes, some examples below:
CPU (i5 2500K) was left at stock speed but under-volted to 1.05 Volts.
Ambient temp in the room was between 25-30 (just a guesstimate)
Bottom card was always between 4 to 8 degrees cooler yet it has a single fan only!
Just the tower case was plugged into the watt meter.

XFire @ 725 Mhz, VDDC = 0.900, top card temp 53 C, system peak = 232 Watts
XFire @ 860 Mhz, VDDC = 1.025, top card temp 60 C, system peak = 275 Watts
This was the stock speed of the un-modded Bios (system peak un-modded was 375 Watts)
XFire @ 975 Mhz, VDDC = 1.100, top card temp 67 C, system peak = 328 Watts

Every 100 mili-volts roughly adds 50 watts power consumption in this case.
I hope this information will help someone out there!

johnny66

One question a new player. Where are collected by the program? I can not find it anywhere.

THX.
You can download the program on the very 1st page at the bottom of the 1st post! Just click on one of the images! Or right mouse click and "Save link as".

padrino

Have some LTC if R9 290 support could be added today 16 Dec... Not sure how easy or hard it is, just tossing it out..

FrankM77

Hi,
I've tried flashing my MSI R9 280X Gaming 3G card bios. It worked once with no errors. But now when I try to flash the original bios file (1.ROM) it gives me this error:
ROM not erased
Error 0FL01 - press 1 to continue
The flashing of the BIOS was all done on position 2. Position 1 still works fine. But I want to fix position 2 bios. I'm using Xubuntu with a bootable DOS disk and atiflash.

Commands I've used:
atiflash -s 1 1.rom (save original bios file)
Then I ran VBE7.0.0.7b and undervolt #6 and #0 to VDDC = 1181
atiflash -f -p 1 1_new.rom

I've posted the original and modified BIOS files for reference.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Attachments

• 1newrom.txt
    256 KB · Views: 712
  • 1ROM.txt
    256 KB · Views: 698
System Name My PC
Processor Intel 3770k
Motherboard MSI Z77a-GD65
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory Corsair 2133mhz 16gb
Video Card(s) xfx HD 7870 Black x2
Guys, darkhmz the original poster and maker of this utility has not logged on since October. Unless he makes a comeback and posts again there will most likely not be an updated version. That means if your BIOS shows "unknown" for vrm like mine you will be out of luck as far as changing voltages.

Hello to all who are enjoying this great graphics card mod tool!

I know in most cases we are trying to get the maximum out of our new (or old) technology that's why we are here. Heck, I've been over-clocking since I got my 1st PC back in 1992 which was a 486 DX-50! But sometimes in circumstances out of your control, you need to go the other way. By that I mean under-volting and under-clocking. Summer has just hit here in Australia and I live in a house with no air conditioning so I like to drop the temps on my graphics card and CPU accordingly.

In February of this year I bought the Gigabyte HD 7850 to replace my SLi 460 GTX 768 mb setup. Apart from having nearly 3 times more ram, the single card only had about 80% the performance of the SLi setup. According to the numerous benchmarks I researched, I thought it would be on par but I was wrong. Three months later I purchased another HD 7850, this time it was from HIS as the Gigabyte was out of stock! Now the Xfire setup definitely kicks the old SLi setup I was previously running!

But I digress, with an ambient room temp of 35-40 celsius, I like to keep my cards below 65 C (I know low 70s are still fine). The Gigabyte 7850 core voltage wouldn't go lower than 1.075 Volts and the HIS 7850 wouldn't go lower than 1.210 Volts! I could go as high as 1.225 Volts on both cards no problems though. Through the use of VBE7, I was able to set the boot-up clocks and VDDC and 3D clocks which gave me full control of tweaking the way I like!

What I did: Set boot-up and 3D clocks to 600 as default
Set boot-up and 3D VDDC to 0.850 Volts as default - That's it!

I then used AfterBurner to tweak, and Furmark to test for 3 minutes, some examples below:
CPU (i5 2500K) was left at stock speed but under-volted to 1.05 Volts.
Ambient temp in the room was between 25-30 (just a guesstimate)
Bottom card was always between 4 to 8 degrees cooler yet it has a single fan only!
Just the tower case was plugged into the watt meter.

XFire @ 725 Mhz, VDDC = 0.900, top card temp 53 C, system peak = 232 Watts
XFire @ 860 Mhz, VDDC = 1.025, top card temp 60 C, system peak = 275 Watts
This was the stock speed of the un-modded Bios (system peak un-modded was 375 Watts)
XFire @ 975 Mhz, VDDC = 1.100, top card temp 67 C, system peak = 328 Watts

Every 100 mili-volts roughly adds 50 watts power consumption in this case.
I hope this information will help someone out there!

Where can you see how many watts your card is sucking?

Also, I still don't get the difference between upping voltage vs. upping TDP --

When do you change one over the other? What's the difference between them?

johnny66

Where can you see how many watts your card is sucking?
If you can't take measurements from the card directly, you can roughly estimate how many watts your video card is consuming by comparing the difference between an idle system and a stressed system. In all the measurements I made, my idle system was around 85 watts (just the tower case plugged into a watt meter as I stated). Use a program that puts more stress on the video card than the CPU. I have been using Furmark for years and as far as I can tell, it mainly stresses the video card. However, Furmark will push your video card to its limit continuously while it is running whereas most modern games do not.

Also, I still don't get the difference between upping voltage vs. upping TDP --

When do you change one over the other? What's the difference between them?
TDP means "Thermal Design Power" (the maximum power the card is designed to use). When you increase the video cards voltage you also increase the power consumption of the card (the watts goes up). Mid range cards will draw 100~200 watts and High end cards can easily draw 300+ watts. If you increase the voltage enough, you may exceed the TDP capacity of the card and shorten its life dramatically, or worse destroy it (if it doesn't throttle down). Most extreme over-clockers usually use better cooling solutions on their cards to achieve more stable heavy over-clocks. Any increase in voltage to the video card will also increase the running temperature, just look at my examples above!

Last edited:

quejo

Thank you all for your feedback.

Veky:
Glad it works. Enjoy your new Tahiti LE GHz Edition without BOOST. :)

Tomorrow:
1. I'll add version number to the next releases.
2. The problem with UEFI images is that they're compressed, thats why i cant modify them. So you have to choose between your modded BIOS and fast boot feature. Btw some BIOSes are able to switch between the legacy/UEFI vga BIOS (was tested with an ASUS mobo, and it worked with modded vga BIOS)
3. I didnt plan to make a 64bit version, this tool would not benefit from using 64bit instructions. :) (...and 32bit OS users would not be able to use it)
4. I might add that feature later.

i did not understad how can i switch between legacy and uefi bios to take advantage of fastboot. I have 4 powercolor 7950 with uefi bioses and flashed 2nd bios with the modded. My mobo is an asus rampage iv formula.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
I wonder if the author will come back here at some point.