1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VBE7 - vBIOS Editor for Radeon HD 7000 series cards

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by darkhmz, Aug 16, 2013.

1. kalliman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I have XFX 7870 DD, and tried to edit its BIOS. The main reason why i need this is because i want to increase its voltage to 1.3 ( currently it is ~1.21 ). I loaded the bios file into VBE7, but unfortunatly I cant set VDDC above 1.21. :

[​IMG]

Is there any way to up my voltages to 1.3 with this editor?

Kalin

2. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Does VBE7 identify on it's front page what Votage controller you have once you have loaded the Bios, it may be that it's unsupported meaning that it is not software programmable. A list of supported controllers are listed in the first post of the thread.

3. kalliman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi and 10x for you replay,

I'm not sure how to identify the voltage controller, but on the OverView PropertyPage of VBE7 I have "VRM Unknown" which most likely means that my Voltage Controller is not supported.

Is there any chance - VBE7 to recieve an update in order to support the Voltage Controller of my the video - XFX 7870 DD? While googling for my problem, I found many people who complain that XFX provided locked voltage cards. IMO this update would be helpful for many others.

4. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Possibly but when you say "locked" in most of those cases what you actually mean is that a non software programmable controller is actually used so it's not a case of being locked, more that it just will not do it.

5. kalliman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I found that it is locked in several forums, but I don't have any idea whether XFX are using non-programable controllers. E.G. it was simply written "your card is locked".

How to identify the exact model of the voltage controller? Is is possible somehow to understand if it can be programmed? I can remove the cooler if necessary, but you will have to instruct me what chip to look at.

6. Tomorrow

Thanks Received:
    If XFX follows the reference design wich i hope they do you'll have to take a look at the backside. A bit below the CF connector. I marked it in the following image (VTX card in picture. Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/VTX3D/Radeon_HD_7870_XT_Black/3.html ). BIG IMAGE: [​IMG]

http://imgur.com/aApmtXv

Tatty_One says thanks.
  7. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    DD is non reference I think.

8. kalliman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well it seems that they Don't. But It might be located on the front side, somewhere here?

9. Tomorrow

Thanks Received:
    Yep. Looks like maybe near PCI-E power connectors or CF connector on top side. You'll have to unscrew the cooler to take a look.

10. clemenza New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, I'd like to ask for advice with my video card issue. After buying a sapphire 280x dual-x (7970 tahiti xtl) I have experienced occasional crashes when gaming. I've come to believe this happens because the vdd core is too low (and doesn't adapt fast enough to the card's actual needs), and WIN7 eventually forces the video drivers to restart. Vddc Is set to float from 1.040 to 1.075 during gaming by default, and frequency core is 1020MHz on boost mode. I tried to edit the original bios settings without any success, vrm are UNKNOWN. I used TRIXX to set the voltage to 1.131V, seems to be more stable now. Does anyone know how to change vddc settings from bios?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  11. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I've had the same problems. Software overvolting and overclocking wasn't adapting right and i had constant lockups and adapter restarts because of it. But after flashing the card with exactly the same clocks and voltages it's working like a champ. Not a single artefact, lockup or adapter reset. Plus it's ready to go without any crappy 3rd party software. I just install drivers and it's already max performance. So, now i truly have a proper use for the BIOS switch on the card. One position is stock and second one is now high performance. And the difference in games is absolutely massive while temperature and fan noise hardly changed. Gotta love the WindForce 3X cooler.

iafro89 says thanks.
  12. doogie New Member

Thanks Received:
    I modified my Gigabyte 7870 bios and whilst the clock and voltage changes worked as expected the new fan profile isn't working. I'm still stuck with the 40% default idle fan speed in Windows. Before this I was using afterburner with a custom fan curve with no problem. I was hoping I could transfer this to the bios instead.

Edit: got it working, just had to reinstall driver. great prog wish I saw it earlier

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  13. max_clif New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is it normal for my r9 270 to refuse to stay in overclocked mode? If I leave computer on for several hours the vid card defaults back to bios settings. Power savings setting is set for 7 hours to put monitor to sleep, but there are times when I oc the vid card and upon entering the game the vid card is back to bios clock settings. This is occurring for multiple games.

I have updated amd drivers to official and to beta with same results. I have tried msi afterburner, and also using amd's own overclock controls.

14. iafro89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I have been trying to use this program now for a while but any bios I try to open gives me an Unknown Bios Image! Error. Anyone know why?

15. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Well lets start at the beginning...... what graphics card do you have?

16. iafro89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Asus r9 280x

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  17. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    OK, so you have dumped Bios with GPU-z and tried to open it in VBE7, have you tried opening one from our GPU Bios collection.... do you get the same result?

18. iafro89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes I tried my bios as well as the ones from this site's GPU bios collection.

19. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    OK, save your bios as a zip file and upload it here, I will take a look and try it myself, not saying that me trying will make any difference but I am just inquisitive!

20. iafro89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok and ty.

Attached Files:

21. iafro89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can anyone help?

22. h9826790 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just tested it. I can open your 280X UEFI ROM image without any problem.

23. iafro89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, I don't understand then, maybe I'm using the program wrong.

24. iafro89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just to update you guys, I tried it here at school and it seems to work fine. I don't know why it doesn't work on my home pc or my laptop. I have Windows Server on my desktop but Windows 7 on my laptop and the pc's at school are Windows 7. I will try to further investigate so I can provide better feedback.

25. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    What about VRAM voltage regulation through BIOS modification? I can push my HD7950 up to 7000MHz on memory, but i'd need a bit more voltage for stability.