1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VBE7 - vBIOS Editor for Radeon HD 7000 series cards

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by darkhmz, Aug 16, 2013.

1. ctq119 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi~:
    Is it possible or impossible to change the memory voltage?
  2. pokerapar88 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys I'm new here, registered mainly for this post. I have been having the worst headaches with my 7970 which came voltage locked: The model is Double Dissipation Edition
    Double D HD 7970 925MHz 3GB DDR5 2XmDP HDMI 2xDVI PCI-E
    FX-797A-TDFC I believe it is revision 3.1 (will check when I get home)

http://products.xfxforce.com/es-la/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Radeon™_HD_7970/FX-797A-TDFC

It has NO bios switch. Is there any chance I can unlock the voltage on the card? I can't OC past 1050mhz on the core as it crashes. I have throttling issues (from day 1) even though I have the TDP at 20% if I oc above 1000mhz, temperatures gaming rarely go above 68ºC, even when I oc to 1050mhz, so I believe there will be nice room for OCing...
    But I don't want to touch it if there's a big chance of bricking the card or murdering it.

Thanks for your replies !

EDIT: NVM, just checked with availiable BIOS on techpowerup and none of the 4 availiable there had the VRM recognized so there's no option of increasing the voltage :( at least I can raise the TDP and decrease the throttling...
    Any way of supporting this card?
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  3. basco

Thanks Received:
    i looked in hex what changes were made with your tool darkhmz and its not same as ket from xtremesystems(does not mean he is right).so there are many different aproaches.
    but cannot find tdp or powerlimit changes? can ya give me a hint where to look?
    thanks for your time
  4. patapalo New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. darkhmz New Member

Thanks Received:
    ctq119: not possible with the current version
    pokerapar88: If the VRM is unknown, you can select voltage from the predefined voltage table. btw BIOS flashing is always risky.
    basco: i have no idea what are you trying to do but there are the addresses for the upper/lower limits in the file you shared a few days ago
    0xb080 upper power limit, 0xb084 lower power limit (both 4 bytes)
    patapalo: that link does not work for me, attach it here please.
  6. basco

Thanks Received:
    thanks darkhmz,
    i could not see how my card handles powerlimit but now i found that only with gputool i can see changes in vddc-current when going from 0 to 20% and frame decrease.
    just wanted to check if its necessery or makes a difference to increase powertune.

and i want to understand what i am doing and not always asking plz help me and so on-hope ya know what i mean
  7. patapalo New Member

Thanks Received:
    sure, here is:

Attached Files:

8. darkhmz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. I don't know whats the problem, it should work. What is your OS/driver version?
  9. patapalo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Catalyst 13.8 beta2 win7 x64 premium
  10. darkhmz New Member

Thanks Received:
    How did you modify the fan profile?
  11. basco

Thanks Received:
    i flashed a lot in last days and sometimes i had to install driver again to make changes sticky.
  12. ezechris1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Got quite excited when I seen this thread, tried various flashes at different settings but my multi meter confirms no changes to the voltages on my 7970 sadly.
  13. darkhmz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could you post your BIOS please? Thanks.
  14. ezechris1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    There you go, thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  15. darkhmz New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm strange... Do you have any oc software running in the background?
  16. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    A lot of the newer DCIIs are voltage locked. I'm not sure if it's hardware- or software-locked, though. There is the possibility that it is hardware-locked and you may not get any more voltage from it without a hard-mod.:ohwell:
    darkhmz says thanks.
  17. ezechris1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have tried with and without additional OC software in background including GPU tweak, trixx, afterburner.

I Don't even have CCC overdrive enabled, maybe mine is locked as I have tried quite a few different bios now as others seem to have had some luck with this but any other bios other than my own the driver/windows no longer recognises the card.
  18. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    A lot of times when you flash a new BIOS, you have to reinstall the driver.
  19. ezechris1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah problem was most times when it would hang with a different bios installed whilst installing the new driver and the other driver installations that went as normal failed to load after the reboot.

Having no luck, that's why I was pleased when I stumbled onto this thread. It was worth a try, its a real shame as this custom asus boards circuitry is built to cope with that little extra voltage.
  20. johndamon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gigabyte 7970OC "locked up tight" BIOS here

darkmhz - I really admire your talent and your generosity, brother! Thank you for the tool. I'm not sure that anyone has yet uploaded a BIOS from a Gigabyte 7970OC, so I figured I'd make sure you had it. In all respects other than the locked voltage, my two Gigabyte 7970OCs are terrific cards. They run very cool in Xfire, and are whisper quiet. They even OC quite well, despite being limited to default juice. It seems to me to be a real shame that folks can't push em to their full potential. So if you are able to free these cards from their unjust restraints, I think you will earn much love from all the GB OC owners out there! :toast: In case it helps, I can tell you that my own attempts to use your tool with this BIOS went smoothly, except that there was no option to assign a voltage higher than 1170 in the list box. I was impressed by how smoothly your tool handled the UEFI, BTW. It is an elegant App, no doubt bout it!

Attached Files:

21. Machineghost7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    HD 7990 / VT 1556 VRM support

Hi Darkhmz - great tool...had been searching long + wide for something like this - kudos ! Two quick questions:

1.) Any chance (pleeaase) to add support for Volterra VT1556 VRMs (ie HD 7990s) ? I run a few of them and while MSI AB supports VT1556 w/up to 1.3v, I'm shooting for 1.35v to 1.38v (the cards are 'heavily' cooled w/EK blocks and 880x60 rads and two pumps just for themselves)...I know a few other folks who picked up 7990s after the recent price drop so your efforts would likely find more than one grateful user :toast:

2.) I see references to voltage tables 'in case VRM is not supported'...can't find them in the latest version....also, any plans to support VRAM voltage ?

Thank you :)
  22. Black Flag

Thanks Received:
    I owned this crap from September 2012 to April 2013. This was the worst graphics card I ever had. Voltage locked, PCB revision from XFX, unoverlockable. I sold it and got an DC2T.

I think you may change the bios but not sure.
  23. darkhmz New Member

Thanks Received:
    johndamon, thanks. :) The problem is, if the VRM is unknown i don't know how to adjust the voltage, so the only option to modify is to select from the BIOS voltage table. Could you identify the VRM chip on your card? That would be helpful.
    Machineghost7, I'm working on the VT1556 support. :)
    Law-II says thanks.
  24. Machineghost7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    GREAT ! Thank you ! :toast:
  25. robby4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    the VRM on the XFX 7970 DD (FX-797A-TDFC) is the up1608PK, it would be great if you can support it.