1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ver. 3.0.2.5 Firmware Update to NEC(Renesas) USB 3.0 controller-unloading fix

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 95Viper, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Cypherdude New Member

Thanks Received:
    It depends. Do you have any problems with your USB 3.0 right now? If not, don't upgrade.

If you do have problems, are you sure it's because of your drivers and not something else?

If you have any problems and it's because of the drivers, are you willing to take a chance with a 3rd party site, Station-Drivers.com? Yesterday I used this anti-virus page to check 3 different Station-Drivers.com pages:
    VirusTotal Anti-Virus check page I used

These are the 3 Station-Drivers.com pages I checked with VirusTotal
    Station-Drivers JMicron page I checked
    Station-Drivers Marvell page I checked
    Station-Drivers Renesas page I checked

VirusTotal says they are clean. I downloaded 6 files, 3 firmware and 3 drivers. I checked all 6 with Symantec Norton Internet Security. Symantec also says they are clean. Even if the Station-Drivers.com pages are clean, you're still taking a chance on the firmware and the drivers because these files may be written for another machine.

From what I understand, a lot of users, at expert level, have used the Station-Drivers.com files with little problems. Ultimately, it's up to you if you want to take a chance or not. If you do apply the firmware and drivers, please post what your results are here.
  2. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Updated my EVO from 1850 to 2302 and now I get that "plural host controller" crap.
  3. Cypherdude New Member

Thanks Received:
    UPDATE: I did a little checking and JMicron says NOT to use their Firmware for onboard mobo controllers. JMicron says they're for their add-on cards:
    ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/SATA_Controller/Option_ROM/Notice.txt
    "The JMB363 Option-Rom is for the Add-on Cards.

For JMB36x on board customers, please contact with your motherboard manufacturer for the system BIOS update."

So, 1 firmware file is out. BTW, I looked inside the latest Station-Drivers JMB36x firmware file, jmb36x_flash_1.21(www.station-drivers.com).zip. I can't even FIND the actual firmware content bin file inside the ZIP file. WHERE IS IT?! I also looked at the Marvell firmware and it's pretty convoluted. I'm not sure I want to use that file either. You're really taking a chance if you use the Station-Drivers.COM firmware files. That's my 2¢

This is Asus's fault. If they continued to support their motherboards, even after they come out with later models, we would not be having this problem. Da** them, da** them all to h***!

[​IMG]
  4. RedDwarf New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a Shentek USB 3.0 2+2 port PCI-e uPD720201 Renesas chipset card and I'm having big problems getting it to work properly.

The card keeps auto resuming from S3 standby and when it does, my PC is usually locked up and none responsive. That means that I lose any work that I was doing which is a very big problem for me.

S1 standby seems to work fine but that isn't much use to me unfortunately.

I've tried 3.0.20.0 and 3.0.23.0 drivers and 20.0.18 and 2.0.20 firmwares and they made no difference. I've moved the PCI-e the card is fitted in. Tried 3 different slots, PCI-e x1 v1.1?/1.01? and PCI-e x16 v2.0. I've tried disabling PME wake up in my Bios, I've tried disabling power management in the drivers and so far nothing has worked.

I've also had disappearing drivers from device manager as well as the auto resuming from standby and lock ups on resume.

Does anyone know of a solution that will get this card to work?

Other than these problems, the card works extremely well. It can do what no other USB interface on my PC, including other add in USB 2.0 cards could do and I'm not referring to speed, I mean error free transfers from my PVR. Only an nforce 2 chipset USB 2.0 worked as well. Intel USB has been utter crap by comparison and therefore I would like to find a solution to these problems because if it wasn't for the problems, it would be the holy grail of usb solutions for me.
  5. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    did you try the ancient asus drivers?
    http://nwgat.wordpress.com/2011/03/23/necfresco-logic-usb-3-0-controller-drivers/
  6. jumpman

Thanks Received:
    How do I know which chip I have so I know which driver to install? I have a Asus N61jq laptop and my usb 3 port that I have my keyboard connected to always disconnects. Using the USB 3.0 Host controller information, the driver version is 1.0.18 and firmware version 3021.
  7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    glad this thread is around, although now i'm having the same problem as someone else had on page 1 - "plural host controllers detected"
  8. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I might have that as well. I have two showing, although one's in an error state. I just ignore it, but just because I'm too busy :/
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    nothing i can do lets me update it, booo.
  10. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Just a thought... have you tried Ghostbuster to get rid of it? I doubt it; but, it maybe worth a try.
    Download page <-- Use the download page to get the portable version or the msi version... if you click on DOWNLOAD on the main page it will use the click once installer (which will ask if you want to install other stuff).

Can look at the device properties and see what error code they show?
    May help in fixing the problem. Maybe a code 37, 39, or ??

Another solutions to look into is getting the "Class GUID" and scour the registry for it and remove it.