1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vertex 3 120gb benchmark... low speeds

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Mariano63, May 8, 2011.

1. Mariano63 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys i'm new to the forum. I Recently purchased a vertex 3 120gb and I don't know that much about ssd's. I ran an AS SSD benchmark and I got pretty low results compared to other people. I'm guessing it's the highlighted part that says "31k BAD".

I cloned my 500 gb win 7 partition to the SSD, I shrunk it before to about 70gb so I could clone it. Before doing the actual cloning, I formatted the SSD through windows (used the default allocation size, since so many people say windows 7 chooses the perfect one) then I procedeed to the cloning using easeus software, worked like a charm.

So now I want to know what that little red number means (31k). I'm guessing it's the allocation size... If that's it, is there any way to change it without formatting? thanks guys.

last notes: TRIM and AHCI are ON, and the ssd is in SATA 6gbps (with intel p67 controller on p67 sabertooth).

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...benchmark.png/
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2011
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I noticed while looking that it seemed your image link has a 404 error;)
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
  3. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i approved the first post, it will get flagged again every time you edit it though, so try to keep the edits to a minimum :)
    sneekypeet says thanks.
  4. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    i think in your case the 31k is the positioning where the partition starts, on an ssd it has to be aligned with the the way the memory is on the drive, or else you may get a performance deacrese, i think this is the article you want but i'm not too sure at the moment
    Mariano63 says thanks.
  5. Mariano63 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for that, I calculated everything with w1zzards calculator, and everything seems to be perfectly alligned. What is the "31k BAD" in my screenshot then? Because im not getting all of the juice I can from this SSD. my 4k read/writes are really down compared to others.