1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VERY high MEMIO Temp on well cooled 4870

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by rodneyhchef, Nov 26, 2008.

1. rodneyhchef

Thanks Received:
    I've just bought this

http://www.techspot.com/review/120-force3d-radeon-4870/

As you can see it's got an accelero cooler on it so shouldn't get hot at all. Fitted the card, installed drivers etc all fine. Then I thought I'd run a quick 3dmark06 bench to see how it compared to my 4850, It only managed to run for about 15 seconds before VPU recover kicked in.

So I loaded ATITool to test for artifacts, lo and behold I get some straight away with standard clocks! This card is factory o/c'd to 770/950 so I thought i'd drop everything down to ATI default settings and try again. It seems to be running ok now, it passes a 3dmark06 run but looking at the temperatures on GPU-z, the MEMIO temp is alarmingly high- at idle it's around 85°C and under load it can climb as high as 120°C! :eek: All the while the "main" GPU temperature never ventures above 60°C. Having a look around on here, it looks as though typical MEMIO temps are around 10-20°C above "main" GPU temp. So mine are way off. Looks like the card is duff, am I right?

memio.JPG

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I'd say your card is no good. It's possible the cooler isn't making good contact, however your other GPU temps are good so I don't think that's it.

rodneyhchef says thanks.
  3. rodneyhchef

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I had a go at cleaning and re-seating the cooler with some AS5, managed to drop my idle temps a bit but load temps are still no good. :( Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

4. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Does that cooler even make contact with the memory? Are there memsinks on the card???

5. rodneyhchef

Thanks Received:
    No, the memory chips have not got any heatsincs on them. In the reviews i've seen on the net this doesn't seem to be a problem

6. Fastmix

Fastmix New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow:eek:
    Something is not right, I get 50c with the stock cooler.

rodneyhchef says thanks.
  7. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Since there are no ramsinks, and your temps are that bad, I suggest not only ramsinks but better case airflow.

8. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    if memory = hot then its time for ramsinks.

9. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    This is exactly what is happening. Either you have uneven pressure on the GPU Die or the heatsink base isn't perfectly flat. RMA the card or switch out the heatsink.

Stock heatsink Idle:
    [​IMG]

Stock heatsink under max load:
    [​IMG]

rodneyhchef says thanks.
  10. rodneyhchef

Thanks Received:
    The memory isn't hot, it's the memory controller on the GPU that's getting hot. Case airflow is fine. These temps were recorded WITHOUT the side on! :eek:

Yeah that's what my 4850 is like. Definitely not right! Thanks for the replies everyone. The card will be going back, but I bought it off ebay. So this causes another issue...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  11. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I may not have the Force3D card but i do have a 4870 + twin turbo installed and i do not have that kind MEMIO temps.

My MEMIO is around 55 (idle) and my shadercore is a lot lower too. My other temps are similar to yours like VDDC. My fan speed is only at 75% too.

rodneyhchef says thanks.
  12. rodneyhchef

Thanks Received:
    Here's what force3d say:

This sounds like a generic response to me?

13. cpassamani New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a 4850 sapphire with the 2 slot cooler. The noise was bothering me and i decided to change and i chosed a accelero s1 with turbo module. My memio temps was always very high since then. When I move it away i could see the contact between the cooler and the GPU was horrible. About 25% of the GPU wans't touched by the cooler. I tried a lot of times mount and unmount the cooler. The only way that make it works was take away the clear plastic rings of the tails spins. Latter I can post my temps.

14. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    i hope u will make it mate:)

15. Jonny_doe New Member

Thanks Received:
    so for jumping in but where is the memio on the card ????
    Mind is also the highest temp , so i wouldn't mind checking out what's cause this ....

16. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^^^

Thats not full load...
    Rename Furmark and voila.
    Anyway, yes.... that is VERY high for temps on the memIO. The temps on my HD4850 @ 750Mhz never even get that high, so RMA or get some RAM/MOSFET Heatsinks.

17. rodneyhchef

Thanks Received:
    Got it Sent back for a refund. Waiting to see what hapens with the next gen now for an upgrade.

18. cpassamani New Member

Thanks Received:
    Before i modify the instalation of the accelero s1 the memio temps at full load reached 110ºC...

Now my temps:
    Idle:
    [​IMG]

Full load:
    [​IMG]

Full load OC::rockout:
    [​IMG]

My problem is solved, but i'll never buy an arctic cooling product again.
    I have a zalman cooler in my another video card and i had no problem...

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  19. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    It's definetly your Cooler not being seated correctly. I tried to add a water block to my gpu and the same thing happened. No matter which way i seated it my memio was always a lot higher. I ended up taking it off and going back with the stock cooler.
    Check the thermal paste has been applied to the full face of the GPU, as the memio core is in one corner of the gpu (but i don't remember which. Also try taking off your cooler and reattatching it, turn each screw 360 then move onto the next screw till it's tight enough

20. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    It's definetly your Cooler not being seated correctly. I tried to add a water block to my gpu and the same thing happened. No matter which way i seated it my memio was always a lot higher. I ended up taking it off and going back with the stock cooler.
    Check the thermal paste has been applied to the full face of the GPU, as the memio core is in one corner of the gpu (but i don't remember which. Also try taking off your cooler and reattatching it, turn each screw 360 then move onto the next screw till it's tight enough.

If you have proper contact, Shadercore, dispio and memio should only be a few degrees apart (even at load) My 4850 runs at 47.5-46-48 (disp-mem-shad)

21. summersend New Member

Thanks Received:
    Temps are insane but i got em 2.Actually alittle higher with the quimoda.I put a 5500 rpm fan on mine.It was an old 939 cpu fan that runs 5500 default.Took the old fan out as to not constrict airflow.I really wonder what kinda silicon there using nowadays since the old stuff would come no where near these temps?I just looked above i guess its the ac5 ur usinr but even with huge airflow i get past 70c in 3do6.I think these thermal pads actually insulate instead of transfering heat.I replaced my 8800gts with the ceramiq because i heard it was non conductive.Is ac5 non conductive or it got silver in it?Last the newer 4850 and some 4870 have nadda on there memory wtf.Ive always thought the mem was the most delicate part of the system but i guess ill go with trust on this one.120C on hardgaming seems unbelievable to me but its happening.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  22. youssef_che New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just increase the fan speed

I advise you to increase the fan speed in the overdrive section in AMD Catalyst Control Center(version 9.2 or higher) & retest the card

23. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    He allready sent it back people. Oh and memio is not the temperatue of the memory, but of the memory controler inside the GPU chip. So his problem was caused by an uneven contact of the cooler with the core.

24. youssef_che New Member

Thanks Received:
    just trying to help.....

25. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    MEMIO is not the ram it's one of the VRMS so either check the contact of them or RMA it. I'd say either the chips faulty or it has bad contact with that chip.