1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Very odd problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Crazykenny, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Crazykenny

Crazykenny

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

I really need your help on this one because I'm at a total loss.

The problem is as followed; whenever I turn my computer on (cold-boot) it wont see either my mouse or keyboard and during the POST it confirms it with a nice message of "NO KEYBOARD FOUND", neither the lights of my Black Widow keyboard or G9 mouse come on either. This happens very rarely but mostly always after a cold boot.

To resolve the issue I tap my power-on button once after it has reached my login screen, wait for the computer turn off, switch off my power supply and let the rest of the current out of my system by pressing the on button a few times. After that I turn my PC back on and voila my mouse and keyboard now work.

Its more of a nuisance then a real problem, but a problem nonetheless. Hardware shouldnt behave like that.

All of the computer specs are in my description and on my profile. Keyboard is a Razer Black Widow mechanical keyboard and the mouse is a Logitech G9x.

Hope you guys can help me with this one!

2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Check the BIOS USB settings, they'll be in there somewhere. First try them in different USB ports, most motherboards have a dedicated set of input I/O's for gaming peripherals, try those.

3. Crazykenny

Crazykenny

Thanks Received:
    Already tryed switching USB ports I'm afraid. (Forgot to mention it) My motherboard has a shit-ton of menu's and submenu's, the only thing I made sure of was that Legacy USB was Enabled.

4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    You're probably running an older BIOS, this was a common issue with early UEFI releases, no matter what brand. Best thing is to make sure these devices are not plugged into any BLUE USB ports. If that does not work, then you need to update BIOS. You'll find many mentions in BIOS version notes about adding/fixing USB compatibility.

Crazykenny says thanks.
  5. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Just checked your Mobo Ports and specs, they're mostly USB 3.0, and run off of an NEC controller. Peripherals generally dislike USB 3.0 (as i have found out with my razer black widow). Only way i found of resolving this was to use the USB 2.0 ports that my motherboard has (yours only has 1 but 9 at mid board).
    Check that the USB 3.0 power option is enabled in BIOS, and make sure its at the latest version (PS Asus is a bitch)

Crazykenny says thanks.
  6. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Generally, you dont need anymore than USB 2.0(or 1.0 ) for those devices, so you're fine if you use the non-3.0 ports. Furthermore, my brother once had a problem which looks a bit like yours. He solved it by going to the power settings in windows and disabling the USB powerdown(or sleep, something like that) option. If nothing helps i suppose trying that wont hurt either:)

Good luck!

Crazykenny says thanks.
  7. Crazykenny

Crazykenny

Thanks Received:
    The problem is that (I think, or I'm color blind :p) my motherboard only has USB 3.0 ports. I'll dig a little further in the BIOS to look for those power settings you mentioned Cadaveca and turn off the power settings in Windows as you mentioned Mathragh.

As for the BIOS itself its fairly recent, I reckon I updated it a little less then 2 months ago. I will however check the ASUS site to see if there is a new version available.

Thanks for all the help so far! I'll report back in if I find anything.

8. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    you need to turn on "usb boot" from under the boot menu. this enables usb devices to be detected during POST.

Crazykenny says thanks.
  9. Crazykenny

Crazykenny

Thanks Received:
    I'm afraid the problem still exists guys. I updated my BIOS to the latest version and tickered a bit in the USB settings. I also turned off the Selective USB Interrupt in Windows, no dice...

I'm running out of idea's here.

10. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Literally, peripherals just do not like USB 3.0. I have not found a fix for this, but luckily my MoBo has 2 USB 2.0's for my mouse and keyboard. Yours only seems to have one. Do either mouse or keyboard work in that port? If so, USB hub

11. ruff0r

ruff0r

Thanks Received:
    His Mainboard has 4 internal USB 2.0 Headers.
    If you can get one of these [​IMG] it would help you then.

12. Crazykenny

Crazykenny

Thanks Received:
    The USB 2.0 port on my board is reserved for ROG Connect, not sure if peripherals work on that. A USB 2.0 PCI-Bracket would be a solution, but then again, it would mess up my cable routing.

If there is absolutely no other way I will look into it however. Its annoying as f* to have to reboot my PC as many as 3 times before it will detect my mouse and keyboard.

13. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    you are not colorblind. asus are idiots.
    marked on the picture should be "white" usb 2 port that you are looking for.
    you can switch your mouse in your kb usb. i use my mouse same way it works fine (kb is stealseries shift, mouse cm storm sentinel advance). mouse is avilable after kb is initialized but with your system you shouldnt notice big delay.

Attached Files:

xvi says thanks.
  14. Crazykenny

Crazykenny

Thanks Received:
    The one you marked there is the ASUS ROG Connect port. Would it be ok to plug my peripherals in there? Or even a USB Hub? Unfortunately my keyboard does not have a USB port build into it.

15. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    Crazykenny says thanks.
  16. Crazykenny

Crazykenny

Thanks Received:
  17. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

S1 or S3 whatever is default try the other.

Crazykenny says thanks.
  18. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Give the USB 2.0 ports a try. My Nostromo wouldn't work on any of the USB 3.0 ports, I ended up buying a USB 2.0 PCI backplate (like the one ruff0r showed) to get it working. no problems with the mouse or keyboard though.

Crazykenny says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Don't think this will work. I this you misdiagnosed the issue, power states would cause an issue later when the machine can actually go down to a low power mode. This is much more basic than that.

I find that enabling support for legacy USB devices will give me keyboard and mouse control in the BIOS and at POST after the USB controller has been initialized. A lot of motherboards have various USB options that describe how it should be initialized and such.

Edit:
    Here is an example from my BIOS. Ignore the "3 keyboards" part. My keyboard has a hub with two ports on the keyboard.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
    Crazykenny says thanks.
  20. Crazykenny

Crazykenny

Thanks Received:
    My settings are exactly the same.

While I was writing this post I plugged in a USB stick in the ROG Connect port. To my suprise it actually worked, the stick was detected and showed up as another drive. Now the question is if the ROG Connect port would appreciate me plugging in a 6-port USB hub. If not, my problem is probably solved (if you guys are sure its 2.0).

As for the ACPI setting. I have no idea in hell where to find those settings in my BIOS. Its probably hidden beneeth a bizillion menu's. Any ideas?

I appreciate all the help so far guys :D

21. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    you already have your answer on this

have u checked on the right side next to the audio jacks

Attached Files:

22. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Mine doesn't like to detect the keyboard and mouse when they're in a USB 3.0 port at initial post. If the ROG 2.0 port worked maybe any other USB 2.0 port should work as well? That is the case for mine and maybe it is for yours as well.

23. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    his mb have only one usb 2.0 at the back - rog port.

@Crazykenny
    your case has 2.0 ports at the top pannel you can use them for kb and mouse

24. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    when u don't activate ROG Connect u should be able to use the ROG USB2.0 port as a regular usb port.

25. Crazykenny

Crazykenny

Thanks Received:
    Mine doesnt have either audio jacks or a USB port. Its the entry level Razer Blackwidow. No fancy backlighting or extra ports.

The USB 2.0 on the frontpanel would work, but then again I'm really paranoia when it comes to cablemanaging. I dont really like have 2 peripherals stick out of the top of my case 24/7 :p

I would disable it if I knew where, I'm probably not looking good enough to find all these options I'm sure. But without any changes it seems to work just fine aswell. (Maybe its disabled by default)