1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Very slow internet traffic

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by arges86, Mar 24, 2011.

1. arges86

arges86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    A company that i work with is having some major internet slowdown issues (takes 5 minutes to load cnn.com, ect.)

Behind their router they have a Juniper Firewall.
    There are two different 'networks' off of the firewall (essentially 2 companies out of the same office). One network seems fine, the other has the issue.
    They've tried unplugging everything from the firewall, and just having one notebook w/ a static IP address plugged in. This computer couldn't access the internet at all.

Sorry i don't have that much information, but that's all i was given. I know very little about hardware firewalls, but any help would be appreciated. The ISP claims its now them.
  2. timta2

Thanks Received:
    I guess the next step would be temporarily bypassing the firewall and checking it's configuration?
  3. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Are the computers in the network correctly configured for DHCP? And what timta2 said.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. arges86

arges86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    they should be
    it had been working previously until last week. The system has been in place for at least a few years.
    When you say 'check its configurations' what exactly are you saying to check (assuming i can even get into it)
  5. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I just meant configured to use DHCP, I expressed myself badly. I don't know much about networks either, btw.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    first, can you access the router settings? most routers are accessed by opening up a web browser, and pucching in the ip 192.168.1.1
    you may need a username and password

second. can you put the computer(s) on the bad network onto the good network? all you should have to do is switch workgroups and network settings.

most routers need to be set-up for static ip. ie each static ip has to be programmed in the router, which might be why the notebook oculd not access the internet at all. are you positive that the router is set to dhcp and not static ip's?
  7. timta2

Thanks Received:
    Find the model number on the Firewall box (Hardware) and go here and type in the model number here...

http://www.juniper.net/customers/support/

If you can't find any info there, I'm sure you could give them a call and ask them how you get started configuring the device. I'm not sure what their support is like though. I'm sure somebody payed good money for it originally, remember that when you call.

Do you know who originally setup the network? Was it a contractor or IT person? Maybe you could contact them.

Did you try bypassing it yet? To make sure that the firewall is the problem?
  8. timta2

Thanks Received:
    To call it a "router" might confuse the issue. It has similar functions to a router in terms of preventing or enabling network connections, but it is more limited to that, and is more specialized for that purpose. A router isn't just a firewall (it does many other things usually) and a firewall doesn't necessarily have routing abilities.