1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Very Slow USB transfer / Detection. Help anyone?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Saakki, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Saakki

Saakki New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello guys! I have this weird problem i cannot find an answer to. I have ASUS M3N78-VM mobo and it has some problems in it. I think my USB ports are not running as fast as they can.

When starting windows it takes ages to detect my external HDD , Buffalo DriveStation 500gb usb 2, and transferring like 300 mb file from internal HDD to that external is PAIN in the ass SLOW.

Transferring FROM external to internal it has NO PROBLEMS. Files fly from Buffalo to my internal SATA HDD.

But if i try to move file from that internal hdd to external Buffalo ,Windows says it takes about 10 minutes to transfer one 300 mb file and it does also take that long..so what a heck..? Im confused. I checked bios and all USB 2 features are on in BIOS. I also had some weird IO shutdown problems. Anyone has any solutions to this? My buffalo also has some turbousb feature but dunno if it works.

Oh and i use 32 bit XP Pro with SP3 in it.

BTW my old mobo DFI Lanpary nf3 Ultra-D did not have this problem with my external HDDs. I have also tried all USB ports, and its the same problem.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I had this problem. You must enable usb legacy features in your bios. Although ironically this allows older USB devices to connect, it fixes the problem effectively for me.
    Saakki says thanks.
  3. Saakki

Saakki New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK now my whole chipset is failing or something..it wont detect ethernet at all and cannot install any chipset drivers except integrated graphics driver, after installing fresh windows..this all started as i installed pcie gfx..how should i work this out if a fresh windows wont help and clearing CMOS either..i am confused here :shadedshu
  4. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Download all the latest drivers for your board. If that doesn't help I would recommend that you back up your stuff and install a fresh load. The shutdown issue could be caused by a bad usb device or too much plugged in also.
    Saakki says thanks.
  5. Boyfriend New Member

Thanks Received:
    Download chipset drivers of ur mobo from vendor site (Asus). It will solve ur problem.
  6. Saakki

Saakki New Member

Thanks Received:
    The drivers from CD provided worked earlier, i flashed a new bios in it but it only helped with USBs btw i had only mouse and keyboard plugged in with that HDD lol..onboard LAN still not working..had to put PCI ethernet card.. :ohwell: plus i have troubles installing Artic Cooling s1 rev 2 on x1950 gt..it somehow cannot get a good contact with HS and thats why heats up..not my week with computers..i think i buy 4830..think that solves teh problems :toast: What is wrong with these new components..i didnt have these kinda stupid problems with my old AGP rig :roll:
  7. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    yea..
    I've been having these same issues..
    got a new mobo..
    and my sound is still screwed..
    having the same usb issues i got rid of my other mobo for..
    lost my ethernet ont hat too.
    now the new mobos ethernet wont even start up..
    something is not right..

this is on a fresh XP install with a reformatted HD..
  8. Saakki

Saakki New Member

Thanks Received:
    absolutely same kind of problems here..weird shit..still mobo works fine other ways tho..im not so interested in changing the mobo because takes so long..hope i manage with PCI ethernet card ..if somebody has any clues how to fix slow USB speed problems & why my onboard LAN is not found please i would be very glad! Pretty new mobo so im very confused why should such things happen ...
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009